2-FAMILY

The interior of the car was glistening in the light of the falling sun. Just moments ago it had been a beautiful sight, one that blended in with the rest of the gorgeous nature surrounding me, but now it had been transformed into a malevolent sight simply because of what Troy had just said. I suppose that's the power of a few choice words. He blurted out a collection of curses as his shaking hands fumbled and tried to guide the key toward its destiny. He turned the key in the ignition with immense force and slammed his foot on the pedal, firing us off into the horizon ahead.

As we blazed down the street, I finally recovered from my shock and was able to fire out a question. "How is this possible? How are they all the way out here?!" I shouted whilst being slammed into the back of the car by his speedy getaway. "Listen, kid, there are a whole lot of threats out here, in the real world. Unfortunately, things aren't a whole lot better than inside that compound at points." He said, confusing me. Everyone I had met in the outside world had been helpful, altruistic, and kind. I couldn't imagine any such horrors as what had become familiar to me. He continued: "You may feel free, but so do all the wild people. The types you've gotten to know. When they're free to do what they want, it almost doesn't matter that we are." I was disappointed to hear this, but I knew it was probably true. After all, the outside world gave birth to the Ordinance, they didn't come out of the blue. He continued to push on further with the car, so I wasn't afforded the necessary concentration to keep speaking.

I looked outside the windows in a total haze, until eventually realising that there may have been a miscommunication. "Wait... Are you saying that normal people did this?" I asked, partially rhetorically. "This is the kind of stuff that just happens, it's normal out here as well." I shook my head and tried to explain. "No, this isn't normal. This isn't the doing of anyone out here. I saw that same symbol, that same marking, that was burned into me. Burned into that corpse. This must be the Ordinance." He slowed down a bit and turned back toward me. "I... I should have expected this. You're right though. It's quite horrifying that they've gotten here ahead of us. And how did they know of where my family's house was?" I wondered alongside him for a moment, before eventually realising. "I think they didn't have to get here at all..." He slowed to nearly a complete stop and pulled over. "What are you saying?" He asked. "Well, I'm thinking that The Ordinance might be bigger than either of us thought. You've dealt with groups like this previously, right? Is there any chance that one could spread out to other parts of the country?" He bit his lip and looked down, not responding as he continued the drive. The suspense was palpable and he slowly pressed his foot against the pedal, quite contrary to his previous, reckless method of driving.

As we continued onto the highway I tried to ask him another question, one he'd hopefully answer. "Even if this isn't their doing, shouldn't we be going to the police right now? They might be able to help us out or some-" "No!" He abruptly cut me off. "I know what we need to do... We'll just lay low and they won't find us. In fact, I know just how to get us started." He said in a slightly more relaxed tone, pulling into a long road and driving along it as the darkness of night set in slowly. I looked out into the dark forests, feeling almost secure due to being stuck in the car. For the first time, I felt more secure on the inside looking out. A looping, seemingly endless series of trees shrouded in the cruel darkness.

Eventually, a light appeared in front of us and got brighter as I could finally make out some details in front of us. A small shack with a large sign above it marked "RANGER" immediately stuck out. "As I'm sure you've seen, I come from pretty far away. My family lived here, out west, so I've got a few helpful connections. I've just got to be careful of who I do interact with." He said, then opening his door and stepping out. I followed behind him and saw him walk up to the shack, ringing the bell up front and hollering a name. "John! Where are you?" Soon after, I heard a few startling footsteps. I walked my way behind Troy and looked at a brand new face. The man opened the door of the shack and embraced Troy whilst laughing and smiling. Eventually, he let go of him and set his hand on his shoulder, talking sincerely to him. "Where were YOU? I've been wondering all about you for years! You should have called, I've been worried sick!" Troy scratched his head and responded with a waning smile. "Well, I didn't know what I could say. Things have been... complicated. I- I'd like you to meet someone. This is Hælend." He stepped aside and gestured toward me. Then, the man looked at me for a moment. He looked back to Troy with a strange expression but then hesitantly extended his hand out to me. "Shake his hand, kid. This is my Uncle John. He's going to help us find a new place to stay." He instructed me. I shook John's hand and he gave me a small, uncertain smile. He stepped back and adjusted his pants, then continuing his conversation with Troy. "So, what are you in need of? I'd guess a lot has happened the past 4 years, huh?" Troy nodded. "Would you like to step inside the shack and catch up a bit first?" He asked, clearly concerned. I couldn't blame the man, I didn't exactly look orderly or normal in the outside world. Troy nodded once more as we were let inside and took a seat.

The chairs were extremely strange, unlike anything I'd ever seen. They were very colorful and painted with gorgeous patterns, and once I sat down on one I felt extremely relaxed. Troy and John sat in the silence for a few moments until John broke it. "So, how's Jenna?" he asked, awkwardly. Troy let his head down and responded after waiting for a while. "She's, um... she's good. How are things with Mom and Robbie?" John looked at me for a second and then looked back at Troy with a somber, pensive face. "Well, they haven't talked to me in a while. I guess you could say it's just been me and the shack!" He said, laughing a bit. Troy tilted his head and responded, perplexed. "So the business has been going well I take it?" John nodded and smiled. "Yes, if you can imagine. Guess lots of folks know this is the only way they'll get a fair deal. A bit of trouble with the law here and there, but nothing I can't handle. It's worth it for them." Troy smiled back and hastily tried to explain the glaring oddity sitting right next to him. "Oh, and uh, the kid... Might seem a bit strange that I'm traveling around with someone looking like that. After all, it couldn't be Jenna and I's, he's 13." John stared at me and commented. "Yeah, I was gonna ask about that. What are you doing with him?" Troy continued and gave a strange, clearly false, explanation. "Jenna wanted to... Adopt. This kid over here is actually from up north. Close to Toronto, in fact. He wasn't in the best spot, so she thought about taking him in and giving him a good home." John looked even more confused than before and looked back and forth between Troy and I. "Is that really allowed up there?!" He shouted out. "Well, we weren't in Canada. We actually went to Indiana, since that's where Jenna originally came from. But out there it's legal, can you believe it?" He said with a convincing, though clearly phony joy on his face. I couldn't understand what they were saying. Even in the compound, adoptions of orphan children were quite common and even considered holy, selfless acts. I couldn't imagine that it wouldn't be legal somewhere. And who was Jenna? I suppose there's a lot I have to learn about Troy.

"Well, that's pretty incredible! Now, what is it that brings you out here? And with the Ms. back at home?" John asked. "We're just visiting, I'm trying to show the kid a little bit about where we're from, our family. He may not be my blood, but he's still part of it." He smiled and looked at me while raising his eyebrows, signaling to me that I needed to reciprocate. I was very confused, but I tried my best to replicate his face. It felt as if they were speaking an entirely different language, I couldn't keep track of their conversation through words, I was reliant on their reactions to one another to learn more. "Well then, I'm sure you'd like a place to stay, huh? It's a bit late, so you'll need to go get some shut-eye. I've got the perfect spot actually, if you're ready!" Troy placed his hand on my shoulder. "How does that sound, son?" He asked.

Next thing I knew, we were being walked through a primitive dirt path paved through the woods. Cabins lined the sides of it, almost like some sort of strange replication of the houses back in the compound. I suppose some things are carried over. After a few minutes of walking and John waving to the people sitting out on their porches, we took a left and ended up in our own house. I stepped in hesitantly and saw a truly incredible sight. It was advanced, it was strange, otherworldly, but oddly more familiar and comfortable than anything I'd ever seen. John shook Troy's hand while Troy thanked him deeply and then we were left inside this magnificent unit. The walls were patterned beautifully, like strokes of a brush from the most ingenious artist. The floors were like an invasive fabric, hellbent on warming the feet. And the beds, most of all, were immaculate. I laid down on one as soon as my trance was broken and it was like a perpetual warm embrace. I was quick to bury myself under the blankets and try to fall asleep, especially coming from the cold night outside, however, Troy quickly interrupted my actions. "I know you're tired, kid. I am too... But we've got to talk about a few things before you fall asleep." He bellowed, sympathetically. "Yeah, I'm confused about quite a few things after that whole conversation." I replied. He smirked and began to explain a few things. "Listen, I know things are very new for you. And I know it might seem strange that I lied to him back there, but sometimes lies are necessary. After all, it wouldn't exactly be easy to tell him about your true origins. It was tough enough for you to convince me of it, we don't want to make this situation harder than it needs to be. So for now just keep things quiet and I'll handle things with John. We should be safe here, it's a nice community he's built. People like us, people who aren't safe out in the broader world, this is a little spot, a small area we can call home. So I know this is all disorienting, but just trust me, we'll get through it all. Now, let's get some sleep." I smiled in agreement, though I really did have many more questions for him.

I was tired and my head felt filled to the brim, I thought it best to simply lie back down and fall asleep. So that's what I did. For the first time in a long time, I was shrouded in the warm comforts of a safe, nice bed, nowhere near any dangers, and as I shut my eyes, I hardly felt the need to open them right back up and check my bedside.