"And he has dark hair... and lighter eyes. We saw each other from two sides of the street, and... oh he was so kind, Sister. So very kind."

"As he should be."

"I didn't think I'd dance... I mean I wasn't sure if I should, but he asked me and I just wanted to so badly."

"Of course."

"He had two friends with him, too. All three of them were so tall— very curious, but he was so good to me, Sister. You would have been proud."

"Two friends..." She repeated slowly. "Did you happen to catch his last name, dear?"

"Oh no I didn't," Teddy frowned. "I mean I don't remember if I did. I'm sorry."

"Oh it's nothing to worry your little head about," She cooed. "What color did you say his eyes were?"

"That was the strangest thing," Teddy explained. "They almost looked like they were pink."

"Pink eyes?" Sr. Matilda sat erect in her chair. Teddy, wrapped up in his joy from the night, couldn't even realize the strange expression that crept over her face.

"Yes! I hadn't even realized that was a color people could have... but they were just lovely. He was so lovely."

"I think you've probably had enough excitement for one night. Maybe you ought to go up to bed," She suggested, letting herself fall back slightly in the arm chair.

Teddy frowned, realizing how disturbed she looked and was suddenly embarrassed. He shouldn't have confessed what he'd done to her. It was probably just too much for her to take in all at once.

"I'm sorry to have upset you, Sister." Teddy's small voice offered.

"Oh no! It isn't that," Sr. Matilda reached out her hand feebly, and Teddy rose to take it. "You just remind me so much of your mother."

"I do?" Teddy asked, face suddenly brimming with pride. Sr. Matilda never spoke of her late sister and he was overjoyed to hear her say that.

"You do," She confirmed. "Your mother had so much spirit, just like you do. Even if Fr. Charles seems hellbent on taking it out of you. She loved the forest too and nature, just like you."

"Were you and my mother a lot alike?"

"I'm afraid not," Sr. Matilda chuckled. "She and I were very different.. she was a traveler, she saw the world, wanted to at least. She didn't understand me, and I didn't understand her... but we were always closer with each other than with..."

"With..?" Teddy asked.

"Really Teddy, you must be exhausted. Go on upstairs and change into your pajamas before Fr. Charles comes back and realizes how late you were out. We can talk about this anytime," She offered.

Teddy knew it wasn't true. In his whole life they had never once spoken of the subject. Regardless, he nodded his head in submission.

"Do you need help going up the stairs to bed?" He asked.

"No. I think I'll wait up to make sure Fr. Charles gets home alright. He can help me when he gets back."

"Alright... Goodnight, then."

"Goodnight Teddy," She called warmly. "I'm glad you had a nice time."

His curiosity at Sr. Matilda's cryptic words paled in comparison to his excitement and his mind— which never held focus very well— drifted right back to Elijah. Once upstairs the boy brushed his teeth in the dim light of the moon which came through the bathroom, then made his way to his cluttered room.