Chapter 3: Fireflies

Start from the beginning

A firefly.

"I don't wike it!...I dont- wike it!" Chad whined out as he looked to the screen.

His sister looked at him with an amused and knowing expression, "Chris Evans?"

"You know it."

The tiny luminescent beetle is joined by a second and third, soaring up and through the woods. All three, the unwitting prey of two children, Billy and Breanne, chasing after them with glass jars.

"Got one!" Screwing the lid on top of the jar, Billy turns to show his sister.

Almost everyone tensed up at the sight of children.

The rest of the memories haven't opened up on a light note so they were all visible anxious to see how this was gonna play out.

"What are you doing, dumbass? You're
supposed to put holes in the lid. Otherwise you kill them." Breanne said scolding her brother a bit for the absentminded act.

"Do I have to let him go?"

"Do you want him to die?"

Billy holds up the jar, peering in at the firefly to decide its fate. Breanne, however, steps past him as she notices a remarkable sight just ahead... Hundreds of fireflies, tiny lights blinking off and on in the darkness.

Uncapping her own jar, Breanne races forward. The fireflies scatter, soaring up to the safety of higher altitudes.

"Dude, I miss catching fireflies" Mindy admitted with a nostalgic look.

Tara and Chad nod along with her as they remembered the good times with their friends, running around carefree trying to catch the insects.

Billy cautiously follows one into the thick of the woods. The glowing beetle settles on a low branch, joining another pair just near it.

Billy creeps forward, holding out the jar
and its lid to catch the first when it flutters away, leaving the other two behind. Coming closer, Billy notices the other two are actually not fireflies.

They're the glowing eyes of a werewolf.

Fangs bared, dirt-smeared and as feral and frightening as a wild animal, Boyd rises from the shadows.

"Oh for fuck sake!" Gale yelled out exasperated, already stressed out and it hasn't even been five minutes yet.

Tara nodded in agreement as she watched the screen tensely, Sam watched with an expression mixed of astonishment and horror before finally muttering out. "What she said..."

Several yards away- with a jar full of captured fireflies, Breanne spins at the sound of her brother's scream.

"Billy?" Alarmed, she runs toward his voice.

But she doesn't need to go far. Billy hurtles out of the darkness right for her.

"Run--run!" The little boy said absolutely scared and our of breath.

"And we're back to this being a goddamn horror movie!" Dewey groaned out anxiously for the kids on screen.

Randy leaned over from his seat and patted the ex sheriff's shoulder in slightly amused sympathy.

Terrified, he drags her with him, causing her to drop the jar. She manages a glance back at something crashed through the branches toward them.

Panicked, they run for the only shelter they can find. A lone Steel tool shed. They charge inside and-