{23}𝘏𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘺 III

🌷Chapter 22🌷
𝘏𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘺 III

Orletha twisted the key, opening the door to her house. She stepped aside to allow Henry inside.
"Welcome to my home. Shoes at the door, please." She said as she locked the door behind them.
"What a cute little place you have here." Said Henry as he stuffed his socks into his boots and sat himself on a chair.
"Thank you. Would you like some tea?"
"It's all right." He politely declined. He drank so much beer that a drop of tea might make him explode.
"All right." She said as she sat across from him.

"I can only imagine how you must feel in a situation like this, heaven knows it's not easy for you to deal with this at such a young age. I do apologise for misjudging your circumstances."
"It's fine, Henry. I must thank you for saving me earlier. I honestly don't know what I would've done if you hadn't come."
"I was looking for you, they told me you left early."
"Yes, it was getting late."
Henry nodded in understanding.

They stared at one another for what felt like forever, until Orletha broke the silence. "You must be tired.. I should show you to your room." She said as she got up from her chair.
"Uhm.. yeah. I guess I should catch some rest." He said as he followed behind her.
Candle in hand, she led him down a narrow hall and opened a door. The small candlelight illuminated the small room.

"This was their room." She said as she entered the room, using her candle to light the other that was on the walls.
"I hope you're comfortable."
"This is as comfortable as I could get. I thank you for your kindness, Orletha."
She felt a warmth tough her cheeks, "You're most welcome, Henry. Good night."

⚘️⚘️⚘️

'Never let a good man pass you by.'

Orletha threw herself out of bed and rushed down hall. She stopped outside the bedroom door of which Henry slept. With a soft knock, she pushed the door open.
"Good morning Hen-"
The bed was empty. The pillows were fluffed and the blankets were folded neatly.
"He left without even saying so.." She muttered as she entered room and sat on the edge of the bed.
"I must find him." She said before getting up and rushing out the room.

The docks were rather crowded that day. A lot of ships were coming in with their stocks and shop owners gathered to buy their share. Orletha pushed her way through and there she saw an old lady.
"Hello Miss,"
"

Hello there, how may I help you?" Asked the elderly woman.

"By chance.. do you know anyone by the name of Henry Keaton?"
"I'm afraid not, sorry."
"He has curly ginger locks of hair and a rugged beard..?"
"Still I can't think up of anybody that looks like that."
"Oh, well.. thanks for your help anyway."
"But, you can ask those men over there. They're sailors. Sailors know everybody."
"Thank you."

Luckily enough, there were men grabbing barrels at the port and fetching them onto a large vessel. She rushed over to one of them, gently tapping on their shoulder.
"Hello there, good sir."
"My," The man stopped to give her his full attention. "For what makes you seek me, young beauty?"
"I am in search of someone. His name is Henry."
"Henry? Oh yes."

"Do you know where he lives? I need to see him. Urgently."
"Right this way m'lady." He gestured her to board the vessel.

Being led in, she felt the gaze of the crewmen on her. As she walked passed them she heard them whistling for her.

"She's here for Henry, not any of you filthy buggars." Said the man she was following behind. Orletha had her fair knowledge in the English Language but these Sailors seem to use words she's never heard of.
The man stopped and turned around to face her. "He's down there."
"Thank you, Sir."

She descended the stairs that led to below the deck, the sleeping quarters. There laid Henry, sprawled flat on the ground. He's homeless. She thought to herself as she gawked at him sleeping rather peacefully in a sleep sack on the wooden floors of the ship.
"Henry.."
"Hmmph." He groaned.
"Well I-" She was interrupted by his thunderous snoring.
She grabbed her shoe off her foot and tossed it right at his head.
"Oh, for the love of-" He got up angrily, rubbing his head as he hissed a bunch of profanities. His emerald eyes then met the puny frame that stood across from him.

"Orletha?" He was puzzled, then noticing her only having one shoe on her foot. He realised that was what hit him. Finding the shoe beside him, he tossed it back to her.
"What brings you here? How did you even find this place?"
She didn't answer and just kept staring at the man.

"Didn't see me in the house this morning and that made you come all the way here, huh?" He got up from where he sat and went over to one of the barrels full of water, taking off cup along with the the lid and putting his hand inside. "Did you miss me?" He chuckled as he brought the cup to his lips.

"I want you to be my husband."