Chapter One

I have no artistic talent, and have no friends who can draw for me, so yes...this is AI art. Sorry!

The cat in the picture is Paleleaf!

Also, the cat on the cover is Emeraldpaw/leaf.

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

"What's this for?" Paleleaf asked, nudging a bundle of herbs toward Emeraldpaw.

"It's Marigold, its petals and leaves can be chewed up into a pulp that is used to prevent infections!" Emeraldpaw exclaimed, his whiskers twitching with pride as he saw the small smile that showed on his mentor's face.

Paleleaf inclined his head.

"That's right, what about this one?" Paleleaf asked nudging another bundle towards Emeraldpaw.

For a moment he was stumped until he remembered something from his kithood.

"Borage leaves, they are eaten to increase milk in nursing Queens," Emeraldpaw stated and Paleleaf gave a small nod.

"They also bring fevers down," Paleleaf added and Emeraldpaw's eyes widened, he hadn't known that, and he had been getting everything right so far.

Mouse dung.

"Sorry, I only know about that one cause I remember Leafstalk needed it when she was nursing me and Spikepaw," Emeraldpaw mumbled, his tail drooping sadly.

Paleleaf gave him a sympathetic glance.

"It's fine, you've done better than most cats would." Paleleaf assured gently." I didn't even get half of them right on my first moon, yet you got practically all of them correct."

Emeraldpaw shifted his paws embarrassed.

"I suppose," Emeraldpaw admitted, though he still felt it wasn't good enough.

Paleleaf laid his tail tip on the apprentice's shoulder, giving him an encouraging purr.

"Don't worry, Emeraldpaw, things will get better," Paleleaf assured." It just takes time, you've only been an apprentice for a quarter of a moon."

With a sigh, Emeraldpaw nods, looking up at his mentor and plastering a confident expression on his face.

"Ok, Paleleaf," Emeraldpaw mewed, his ears twitching anxiously." Can I go see Leafstalk? I promised her I'd let her know how I was doing."

For a moment Emeraldpaw thought Paleleaf would say no, but then the cream tom inclined his head and gave a soft purr.

"Go on, I can treat the clan for a bit, I'm sure Leafstalk misses you," Paleleaf meowed, standing up and turning back toward the herb stores." But don't forget to come back before sundown."

Emeraldpaw's eyes lit up.

"I won't Paleleaf!" Emeraldpaw exclaimed turning to rush out of the medicine cat den and toward the warrior's den where he hoped to find Leafstalk.

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

It was a moon later that Emeraldpaw faced his first emergency, Paleleaf was out collecting herbs and Blueclaw came in with a gash along his flank.

"Where's Paleleaf?" Doublescar growled as he entered the medicine cat den." Blueclaw got attacked by a badger.

Emeraldpaw's fur stood on end, panic seeping into his very bones.

"Paleleaf has gone out to collect herbs, where is Blueclaw, I'll do my best until Paleleaf comes back," Emeraldpaw said, putting as much confidence and authority into his voice.