Chapter 28: Melodramatic

Start from the beginning

I peered up at the white werewolf. It was weird to see one so large since most were subs.

Faye dropped to my level. "So, you're the one Bruce mentioned to me. My grandpa Jet came by and told me all about the red-headed boy. You are adorable."

I could feel my face heat up.

"You're definitely not from this guy's bloodline." She nodded toward the old werewolf.

Darius scoffed. "He's adopted into it."

"Even better," she laughed. She looked me in the eyes and smiled. "This is my pack now so if anyone gives you a hard time, let me know. I'll put them in their place." Faye stood up straight and addressed Hector. "It's good to see you again. Andreas, Fallon, it's been a while."

"Congrats, Faye," said Andreas. "Northern Ridge will finally have an alpha that can whip their military into shape. They've been looking rather soft lately for traditionals."

Darius growled. "Says who?"

"I plan to try my best," said Faye.

Bruce slipped through the crowd. "Jet and Titus are getting into it."

Faye sighed. "It's been over a hundred years, and they haven't even learned how to ignore each other. Excuse me, I have to stop too old men from hurting themselves." She marched off with Bruce right behind her.

"Shouldn't you?" Hector pointed.

"No," said Darius firmly. "He's my brother, but I stopped picking fights for Titus long ago. I say we head to the main chamber and see what kind of food they're serving."

"Yes!" Drake hurried forward. "I'm starving."

Darius nodded. "I like this one. Come on, pup, let go and get something to eat."

I stayed with my parents as my siblings raced on ahead. We passed by Faye lecturing two black werewolves. She seemed to have it handled. We found a place in the corner. A table was placed close to the floor with cushions around it. I sat by the back wall and hugged the blanket around me.

"Rudy, aren't you hungry?" asked my mom.

I shook my head.

"I'll get you a plate." She smoothed my hair before leaving.

My dad stayed with me. My siblings were bouncing from one food display to the next. I was too nervous to go. More and more werewolves were entering the room. They did have a big heater blowing hot air into this cave at least.

"Dad?"

"Hmm..."

"What if it's me?" I glanced at him. "I don't want to change packs."

"I'm pretty sure it will be Sasha. It looks like it's going to be a male dominant and they usually go for subs or girls. I'm kind of relieved she's embracing the ideas, even though she's way too young."

I laughed. "I have red fur, though."

He glanced at me and nodded. "Yeah, I think you'll probably be working with your old man as a big-wig dominant. What do you think about that?"

Smiling to myself, I shrugged. "I'd be okay with that."

"Don't let what people say mess with your head."

"Okay."

My mom returned with two plates. "I will say my birth pack knows how to cook meat. Rare, just how you like it."

"Thanks." I took it. "Do we have to stay much longer?"

"We'll leave once everyone is done eating." She took my dad's spot as he went to get some food.

Sasha sighed. "I love it here. Did you see the new alpha? She's so cool!"

"Pure white, too," said Drake.

"She's so pretty." My sister gazed around the room. "I'm going to be a traditional werewolf too and be just like her."

My mother shook her head. "I don't think Faye lives in the cave. It's for ceremonies. She has a house just like we do."

"Still—" Sasha waved her hand around. "Why doesn't Midfield have a cave for ceremonies?"

"Midfield has been civil for a very long time," said my mom. "They merge with humans early on and Northern Ridge never did, until after the war."

Hector and Andreas returned.

"Grandpa," said Sasha. "Can we get a cave?"

"A cave?" He looked confused. "What for?"

"To do ceremonies. Look at this. We should get a cave."

He chuckled. "Eat your food before it gets cold. The idea of being traditionals has gone to your head. Midfield is just fine how it is."

"It would be so cool." My sister picked at her meat.

"I like Midfield how it is," I said. "It's too cold. And we have the alpha mansion. It's a lot nicer than this."

My grandpa motioned to me. "I agree."

Sasha groaned. "I was meant to be traditional. You wouldn't understand."

"More like melodramatic," my father said with a smirk. "Eat."

"What does that mean?" She pouted at him.

"You'll find out soon enough," my dad replied. "Hopefully not until you are much older."

Andreas chuckled. "Raising teenagers—you're just barely getting started." He tipped his glass to my parents. "Good luck."

*** Feel free to Link, Comment, and Share! Full Story is complete on Patreon (link on my profile); more is available on Radish Fiction.