She left June for a moment to make sure Rose wasn't causing havoc in the kitchen while she prepared some juice. A smile appeared on her face when she saw that Rose had not only prepared a glass for herself but had also done the same for her sister, demonstrating her care and consideration. Scarlett leaned in and planted a tender kiss on Rose's cheek.

"It's June," she whispered in her ear, watching as Rose's smile widened.

"Can I tell Amanda and Joshua?" she named her best friends with enthusiasm.

Scarlett hesitated; she had a meeting with her lawyer later and then another one regarding a job proposal that she found exciting and was sure the girls would love. She had arranged with Kate to stop by the office. She needed to coordinate with Harold on the legal processes they would undertake and how they would make the news public. She didn't want to rush things, knowing that once Rose shared the news, the paparazzi would be on the lookout.

"Mom has an important meeting today. Can you promise to keep all of this a secret until tomorrow?"

Rose lowered her head, her expression filled with longing and confusion.

"But she's my sister."

"I know, sweetheart, but it's important to do things right, and everything has its time. I'm only asking for one day, and tomorrow you can tell whoever you want. Understand?"

Rose sighed and lifted her head, then seemed to remember that she had her sister back instead of pondering whether she could share the news or not. As soon as she saw June appear in the kitchen doorway, she rushed toward her, embracing her with enthusiasm.

"Good morning, June!"

Scarlett let go of her coffee and coughed, surprised by the swiftness of the interaction.

June blinked but hugged Rose back, wearing a bewildered expression. Why was she calling her that when she knew her name was Althea? Her green eyes landed on Scarlett, who was still coughing, as if awaiting an explanation. However, Rose, overwhelmed by the reunion, couldn't contain herself and simply called her sister by her real name.

When Scarlett finally managed to compose herself, she masked her own feelings of distress by placing a bowl of cereal in front of June. The crunchy grains scattered in the air, and the delightful scent of cereal filled the small kitchen.

"Have breakfast, sweetheart. I didn't have time to prepare anything more elaborate today; we're a bit rushed." She then directed a look toward her older daughter, whose eyes remained fixed on her sister. "Rose, go get your backpack. As soon as June finishes, we're leaving."

June had enough time to enjoy her breakfast, while the sound of spoons clinking against the bowl filled the room. Afterward, she brushed her teeth with a toothpaste that was fresh and foamy with a strawberry and mint flavor before reuniting in the car with Cosmo and Rose.

"And Colin?" June asked.

"He had to leave for work early."

The first stop was to drop Cosmo off with Kelly, and the second was to drop off Rose. This latter stop took longer than expected when Rose insisted on staying or having June accompany her. In the end, Rose relented upon realizing she wouldn't achieve her goal, especially when her friends called for her.

June looked ahead, watching the world speed by outside the window. Her nervous fingers rubbed her thighs. Although she was oblivious to Scarlett's glances in the rearview mirror, Scarlett knew she had to find a topic of conversation.

"Today, you'll be accompanying me to some meetings. If you behave well, we can go get ice cream; there are still flavors for you to try."

June's eyes lit up with restrained excitement. "I promise!"