Chapter17: Snake In The Grass

Start from the beginning

"They must return at once. No report this late into the mission is suspicious."

"Utatane-san is right. Considering the fact that Suzume is also on this team, I can't help feel rather doubtful.", Danzō said.

"Indeed.", Homura said.

Indeed what? Indeed, let's kill the child because we can't control her? Indeed, let's let all those missing children continue suffering because we want things done our way?

Bastards.

Ibiki grit his teeth, resisting the urge to drive a fist into a wall. Or better yet, into someone's face. Just what was he doing here again? Did they call him in just so they could question his leaders' authority over their spies? Did they only want to just tell him how much they wanted to control his fation?

He glanced fleetingly at the frowning Danzō, not allowing his dismay to show in his expression.

“There's no report. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for their return. I'm not calling the mission off.", he said lowly. Danzō's frown deepened. The Hokage hummed in agreement.

"Morino-san is right, too much is at risk here. This is our only chance to finally locate him, and possibly even defeat him.", the man said seriously. The him that he was referring to  was none other than his own forner student, and an enemy of Konoha, Orochimaru.

It was no secret that the snake sage had been running vile operations in which he used humans as specimens. The likes of Yamato, an escaped victim of his, were notable pieces of evidence for this notion. They knew thus far that his experiments were extreme and inhumane.

Recently, a large amount of children— mainly orphans— were going missing around the Land of Fire. They disappeared without a trace, like they never existed to begin with. There have been no sightings of them, so it only made sense to think of Orochimaru.

Yamato himself had been kidnapped as a child, and put through many painful experiments during his time with Orochimaru. He was rescued by a team of Anbu when he managed to escape, by some miracle.

Knowing this, the Hokage couldn't let this mission stop. Not when a lead was found.

"It doesn't matter, now. This team is too dangerous to be trusted—"

"What are you so afraid of, Shimura? What does Suzume have that scares you so much?", Ibiki snapped, slowly inching towards the old man. The room fell silent immediately, some people looking extremely shocked.

"You dare imply that I am guilty of using underhanded—"

"Well, the shoe fits. Now, doesn't it?", Ibiki sang boldly, causing the man abruptly stop talking. Danzō looked about ready to fight. He rose from his seat, pointing an accusatory finger at Ibiki.

"Your insolent—"

"That's enough, both of you!", the Hokage bellowed as he rose from his seat as well. He came to stand next to Ibiki, a frown set onto his face.

"Thank you for your time, Morino-san, you're dismissed.", he said with a nod.

Ibiki paused, casting a look at his superior. Without a second thought, he immediately turned to leave. They watched as the young man left, almost flying out the room in silent rage.