Chapter Forty-One

Depuis le début

"I just want to see him again," I mumbled, biting my lip harshly when I felt a tight clench on my heart. A soft groan left my mouth as I squeezed my eyes shut and tried not to think too much about it.

"I know," Zayn replied, running the pad of his thumb underneath my eyes. The couch dipped as Liam took a seat on the cushion next to Zayn and ruffled my hair lightly.

"You'll figure it out," he said resting his hand on the small of my back, "I know you will."

The three of us remained in that position for quite a while until Zayn began to shift underneath me, legs numb from the weight of my body. I reluctantly slipped off of his lap and sat down onto the couch on his opposite side.

Zayn smiled weakly at me and patted my thigh. "Are you sure we've tried everything?" he asked gesturing a hand at the crystal. "Let's try to retrace our steps one last time; what was the last thing that you did both times?"

I slouched slightly in my seat and glanced down at my lap; we had already gone over the events leading up to the slip in time several times yet nothing we'd tried had worked.

"Did you happen to say anything that might have triggered it?" Liam asked, interjecting into my thoughts. He rested his cheek against Zayn's shoulder as he peered over the latter to catch my gaze.

I shrugged nonchalantly, pulling my legs up onto the couch and wrapping my arms around them, resting my chin on top of my knees. I reached a hand into my pocket and pulled out the pocket watch before flicking it open and watching the secondhand tick slowly.

I wish that I could go back in time and fall for someone else.

I wish I never met Harry. I wish I never came here. I wish I was back at homehome where I belong.

My face paled as I dropped my feet onto the floor and dug into my shirt to pull out the crystal. I let out a soft grunt when the chains of the necklace tugged against my neck.

"What is it?" Zayn asked, bewildered by my frantic gestures. He shifted a bit on the couch to turn and face me; Liam followed Zayn's lead and peered over Zayn's shoulder at me in slight confusion.

"I think I figured it out!" I exclaimed, enthusiastically clasping Zayn's hand in mine. I quickly hopped off of the couch and lifted the crystal slightly off of my chest, attempting to give Zayn and Liam a better view of the rock. "I made a wish!"

"You what?" Liam asked, quirking his head onto one side and running his hand through his hair. Zayn turned over his shoulder and quietly shushed Liam before turning back around and shooting me a reassuring smile.

"I made a wish," I repeated, reaching back to unclasp the necklace, nimble fingers fumbling all the while. "I had made a wish that I could to go back in time the first time around and then I had wished again that I could return home the second time."

"Shall we try it then?" Zayn asked, brushing his fingers lightly against my hand that held fast to the crystal. I gently nodded my head and turned to face Zayn and Liam. They both stepped forward and placed a hand onto my shoulder, squeezing it lightly to help urge me on. I cupped the crystal in my hand and took a deep breath.

I wish that I could go back in time, back to the time when Harry and I were still together.

My heart began to beat erratically against my chest as an unsettling chilly wind picked up around us, kicking up fallen debris in its wake and nearly blinding me in the midst of it all. Liam let out an excited squeal as he clung onto Zayn's arm and wrapped his free arm around my shoulders.

"You did it, Niall!" Liam exclaimed. A grin broke out onto my face as I turned my head back towards him and nudged his shoulder lightly with my head.