THE SIN LORDS ARE BACK IN TOWN

After a couple days of travel, the gang makes it back to the town of Llyne.

PALADIN, SUPERBIA
"Our first order of business is to return the boy we captured from the village to the king and await further instructions. While we are in town, please refrain from getting into further trouble. We caused enough beating up half a village and the news has surely reached the king by now. As long as we lie low, the heat should die down and allow us to—"

As he turns around to continue to address his party, he notices only four of his members remain with him. Gula rocks on his feet anxiously, Invidia listens on eagerly, and Iras is staring at the sky. Desidia is sound asleep on Superbia's back.

PALADIN, SUPERBIA
"Where are the others?"

WARLOCK, IRAS
"Probably doing the opposite of what you just said."

FIGHTER, INVIDIA
"I think they went to the bar. That's always a good bet."

PALADIN, SUPERBIA
*sighs* "No surprises there. Then why are you still here, Iras?"

WARLOCK, IRAS
"I haven't decided yet if me being with you would irritate you more or not."

PALADIN, SUPERBIA
"Delightful. We will press on and catch up with them later than."

The remaining tieflings march through the town center towards the castle where the king resides. The townsfolk throw side eyes and hushed whispers their way as they proceed. Others inspect their pockets and run inside buildings. Tieflings are not a rare sight, but this many, and this group in particular, certainly are.

The group enters into the grand hall of the castle. Red carpets, polished marble flooring, and royal insignias drape from rafters. The hall is empty, save for a few guards posted at each pillar. The tieflings' footsteps echo as they approach a white throne upon which sits the High King Velimar. An advisor whispers in his ear. The king's face does little to hide the truth of bad news. At the foot of the throne, Superbia falls to one knee. Invidia undoes her bindings, putting the captive down, and imitates Superbia. Gula shakes in place, bowing his head and supporting himself against his staff, studying the decor. Iras offers a nod, his highest indication of respect.

PALADIN, SUPERBIA
"Your grace, High King Velimar, in your revered holiness, we have returned successfully from our mission having secured the target."

High King Velimar waves away his advisor and sits upright on his throne.

HIGH KING VELIMAR
"Successfully? Perhaps. That much is apparent. But from what I've been told, it was not without its... complications. However, I am not one for rumor or hearsay, but the fact of the matter remains; you have returned with the boy. That much I am grateful for. May he be unbound so I can see his face?"

Velimar rises from his throne gesturing to the boy. Invidia jumps to her feet, grabs a dagger, and cuts the gags about his eyes and mouth, leaving him tied to the chair. The boy gasps for air as he looks around, inspecting his environment. He meets the king's gaze, speechless, and unable to make an appropriate gesture. Once gathered, he begins to plead his case.

ORAM
"My King, your Highness, these Devils kidnapped me from my home, attacked the ones trying to rescue me, and destroyed our inn. Please free me from my captives! I beg you! These monsters are not to be—"

The king raises a hand to cut him off. He eyes the boy softly and in a gentle tone explains.

HIGH KING VELIMAR
"I know, my son. I am the one that sent them to, forgive me for lack of a better term, retrieve you. There is much I need to explain to you. I will do so in greater detail later when you are cleaned, fed, and rested. But for now, hear me. I know of your mother and how she was killed in a raid some years ago. We wished it hadn't come to this."