Chapter Forty-Seven

Maybe his silence had betrayed him; typically, Peter found it hard to be quiet. Even at the most inappropriate times and during situations where it really wasn't in his best interest, he had a problem keeping his mouth shut. It was Sam Wilson who had commented on that fact during their first meeting: there isn't usually this much talking during a fight.

Peter couldn't quite tell why those words echoed through his head at this very moment. It might have been his way of coping with failing to save Sam before or dying at the hands of Emilia, even if it hadn't been her intention. Did he leave her behind to avoid a repeat of whatever she found so disturbing about Petelgeuse getting to her or did he fear his own reaction to looking her in the face after she had killed him the last continue.

It wouldn't be fair to judge based on actions she had yet to take, actions she might never take or might choose to handle differently given changes in circumstances. What if he spoke to her in a harsh tone on mistake or his demeanor changed around her? There was no way he could deal with that now, he would rather take care of the problem in front of him: find Sam Wilson and bring him back alive.

The assessment of where they had been on the previous loop ended up being correct, going over the side of the cliff at one end of the manor grounds lead down into a tight grouping of spiked rocks. Those same spiked rocks had been at the far end of the clearing where the cave they had found the Witch Cultists in was. Ferris had required Peter's help to get down, so he carried him safely to the ground. Bucky's reinforced body easily took the drop, especially when he dampened the force with the Vibranium fist.

Julius, who Peter had the least experience around by far, used what looked to be some kind of Spirit Arts connection with what looked like the lesser Spirits that Emilia would sometimes commune with. Peter remembered that Julius had introduced these six by name: Kua, Ia, Alo, Ake, In, and Nes. Quasi Spirits, he had called them.

As Peter placed Ferris down on the ground so he could walk, Bucky glanced over at Julius and let out an impressed whistle. "That's a nifty trick. Don't think that I've seen someone use Spirit Arts like that before."

"It's more unusual for one to contract with spirits like mine," Julius said. "Which way is your hiding place, Peter?"

Peter pointed straight down the long clearing. "It's a little up ahead, you probably can't see it from this far off."

"Does the magic you use allow you to see further away?" asked Julius.

For a moment, Peter thought of how to answer the question. He had seen the cave up close and had seen the area leading to it from above that time with Emilia. Thinking back on that had allowed him to put two and two together. "It's complicated," he said. "I can narrow the suit's eyes and see things at a distance, kind of like a spyglass."

Peter was unsure if Julius would understand the word telescope or know what he meant by something telescoping in, spyglass seemed more on the level of technology that this world had. It was best not to bring up anything too high concept right now.

"Hmm, maybe I should look into a metia like yours. Though I'm not sure where I would get something like that," Julius said.

"It's kind of like an armor, a guy named Tony Stark built it as an upgraded model of a suit I made at home. It's got all kinds of stuff in it."

Bucky nodded. "So Stark built the suit?" He walked a little way, turning to face Peter and tossing his hands up. "That makes sense all of a sudden."

"Who is this Stark?" asked Ferris.

"He's a type of Wizard, I guess," Peter said. "But not like a Wizard that uses conventional magic, it's more like metia magic-he's really good at making them."