Book 1, Chapter 25

Start from the beginning

The little boy looked slightly disappointed, however looked up to the red-haired woman. "Thank you. But, Mom..." He gave her a little smile. "Just once, I'd like to try one of those tarts covered with bright-red strawberries..." He asked, eyes shining with hope.

The woman, similarly to Riddle, turned a bright red. "Absolutely not! Those tarts are monstrously unhealthy. I might as well feed you poison!" The young child flinched at his mother's words, looking down.

"Even just a single slice would exceed your recommended daily intake of sugar." The woman explained, eyes hard as she sternly informed the boy. "Now, dinner tonight will be a tuna sauté rich in DHA and omega-3 fatty acids." She revealed another dish, placing a plate onto a different scale and setting it.

"Now that you're eight, your caloric intake should be 600 kilocalories per meal, so don't eat more than 100 grams of it. Understood?" Yuu stared in horror at her way of conducting herself with her child, anger flaring.

The little boy nodded. "Yes, mom."

"What is she doing?! Counting a child's calorie intake like that... prohibiting him from eating a tart? Oh his birthday? This is horrible!" She fumed loudly, eyes lingering on the boy as he carefully plated his own food.

Having forgotten that Riddle had been there, Yuu had admittedly jumped at his surprised yelp.

"Huh?! Prefect Yuu?" The boy yelped. "What are... How are you here?" He questioned.

Yuu thought for a moment, recalling the previous events. "I, uh. I kinda just... woke up here..." She admitted.

Riddle sighed exasperatedly, turning away from her. "So even in my past, you've come to torment me."

Yuu frowned for a moment. "So... that little boy. That's you?"

Riddle sighed, nodding.

"Well, yes... I'd always wanted to try one of those tarts with the bright-red strawberries..." Riddle said. "The local cake shop had them in the window. They shined at me like forbidden jewels." He recalled, walking toward a different part, gesturing for her to follow.

.

.

.

The two stood inside a new room, standing tensely in a corner as they listened to the woman drone on, little Riddle diligently taking notes as she spoke.

A few more minutes of that, and Riddle's mother shut the book. "That's enough classical magic study for today." She said, placing a book down in front of the eight-year-old. "Your homework is to read the first fifty pages of the philosophy of language book referenced in today's magical philosophy texts."

Little Riddle nodded, placing marks on the pages to remind himself to read that much of the heavy text-book.

His mother nodded, air of professionalism never once leaving her as she interacted with her son.

"You may now have one hour of independent study before your potionology lesson."

Little Riddle gave her an obedient nod, grabbing his book. "Thank you, mother."

She smiled gently at the boy, satisfied with his answer. "I need some time to prepare the lesson materials. I will see you in one hour, okay?"

"I was studying every possible subject, scheduled down to the minute." Riddle examined his younger self as he examined the book in his hands, writing down little notes onto a notebook.

"When I didn't understand something, the lesson was extended until I did. That was my 'normal.'"

Yuu looked at Riddle's exhausted gaze, her heart clenching. She had to push down the urge to engulf him in a hug, opting instead to listen.