Eight

A little warning: homophobic remarks

*

Carl wasn't, in fact, immune to Jack's special look.

On saturday he stood infront of Ross' house. Ross lived with his grandparents who weren't there for Ross' birthday; Carl didn't care enough to ask for the reason behind it.

Before Jack knocked he turned to Carl, "You have to behave today." Jack said and all of a sudden Carl felt like a child who had to be told to not plan any cheeky tricks.

"I'll make sure to behave well, Fiona."

"Hey, that's not what I meant. I just--" Jack said. "I don't want to cause any problems myself. I know that it's hard to not do so, especially with a guy like Ross, but we have to pull ourselves together today."

"I'll try, I'll try."

"Don't let him provoke you. He likes to do that."

"I won't let him provoke me." Carl repeated to reassure Jack.

Then Jack nodded and knocked onto the door. Riley greeted them and gave them a drink which Carl readily took.

It was a boring day, Carl didn't expect much for today but man, was it boring. They didn't even really see Ross until they ate some birthday cake. It was a chocolate cake and Carl couldn't lie; the cake tasted damn good.

Ross sat right infront of them on a couch in the living room, surrounded with some other jocks.

"The cake's pretty good." Jack said beside him and Carl felt like as if he was at a tea party of a 68 year old grandma instead of a birthday party for a 18th year old boy.

"It is." Carl said and took a sip from his beer.

"You think so?" Riley said, standing right behind them and Jack jumped up in suprise. "I made it."

"You really mastered this recipe." Jack said with his mouth full of chocolate cake.

"Ross didn't even eat a bite from it."

"Ungrateful shithead." Carl muttered under his breath and Jack gave him a 'shut up' look, but Riley laughed.

"Yeah, ungrateful shithead." she repeated and took a seat inbetween them. "He didn't even look at me all day. He just hangs out with his friends."

"A man needs their woman free time." Carl said. He didn't mean to defend Ross but it did sound like it.

"That's why you don't have a girlfriend." Riley said and crossed her arms infront of her chest. "And because you're too short." she chuckled.

"Real ladies don't care about that." Carl said and he looked up to Jack. He didn't need a girlfriend anyway.

"He's obsessed with you." Jack said. "He proved it on the day he almost beat me up."

"Until I beat him up." Carl chuckled.

"But it's almost as if..." Riley said, ignoring Carl. Then she paused. "Nevermind. I should go up to him. You two enjoy the cake, yeah?"

Riley stood up and went to Ross. "I'll get myself a second slice later!" Jack yelled after Riley and she gave him a thumbs up.

Carl looked after her, chewing. "Poor girl." he said.

Jack whispered, "And she still insists that Ross is a nice guy."

"She does?"

"Yeah, she was really mad when I told her that he's an asshole."

"Then I won't even try." Carl said. "But he's really an asshole for not enjoying her homemade cake."