Chapter 5

The bad news is nothing lasts forever,
The good news is nothing lasts forever.” — J. Cole

Dear, Dairy, 

It's been one week since I found out I was a married woman and five days have passed since I was told to stop my education. 

But how can I do that?

Would I survive losing my identity?

Becoming a journalist is a dream I nurtured since childhood.  

Would I be able to let it go? 

A sob caught Zainab's throat and her hand holding the pen shook. A drop of tear splashed against the page of her diary.  Not wanting to ruin her diary any further, she pushed it away from her.  She buried her face in her palms and let her tears fall without any restrictions. 

She remained in that position until the ringing of her phone broke through her wails. With blurry eyes and trembling hands, she reached for her phone and answered the call. 

"Hello." Her voice came out hoarse.

"Good day. Please, is this Miss Zainab Haruna?" asked a female voice.  

"Yes."

"Great. I called to inform you that you have been selected for our annual summer journalism workshop." 

Zainab's heart lurched. "Are you for real?" 

"Yes.  It's due to your excellent grades in your University."

A smile grazed Zainab's lips. "Thank you very much." 

"You are welcome.  The workshops start at the end of the month.  So please complete the formalities before then."

"I will. Thanks again."

"Bye and have a nice day," the lady said and the call ended.  

Zainab stared at her phone as she processed everything that took place.  

You have been selected for our annual summer journalism workshop.

The words sank into her and she let out a joyous squeal.  She jumped up and twirled around her room with a huge smile on her face.  

Although the lady didn't introduce herself, Zainab knew what she was talking about. She had submitted an enrolment form 

It felt surreal that she was selected for one of the esteemed workshops in the journalism world. A workshop run by a prestigious University in the country. 

Zainab rushed out of her room to share the good news with her family. However, as she drew closer to her parents' room, she stopped in her tracks.  

A traditional Hausa woman should focus on raising children and caring for her husband.  Her father's words drifted into her mind.  

Did her father mean what he said? She wondered. Would he be happy to hear about her selection? 

Several questions flooded her head and caused uncertainty to build within her. Nevertheless, she wanted to tell the news to someone. She turned around and headed in the opposite direction of her parents' room. A few moments later, she stood in front of a white door similar to her own. 

She pushed the door open and bounded inside. 

"Amina!" she called in a sing-song voice. 

Her sister looked up from her laptop and a smile immediately appeared on her face.