Amortentia

A/N: Another short chapter but I hope you like it, the next chapter is the party one so it'll be long and worth the wait! Meanwhile, enjoy the necessary Amortentia chapter thats in every HP fic :)

———

Everyone in potions class seemed to fall into a lovesick daze throughout the lesson. This was, naturally, because that morning's lesson involved the sixth years taking their first jab at concocting Amortentia.

Jade and Rina hovered over their cauldrons, sitting side by side and speechless for once, admiring the alluring potions they had just created. Jade could've possibly swooned at the scent filling her nostrils- it was a familiar scent that she could not pinpoint. It seemed almost confusing to her- two distinctive scents seemed to battle each other. One she recognized as Cedric's, but the other she could not determine. Oliver Wood? No, not him. He smelled like leather and fresh cotton, she thought. This other scent was far too different. It was not spicy, nor sweet, but an odd in-between type. It reminded her of Christmas, in a way. The person it belonged to hovered in the back of her mind, but she just could not etch out a name into the forefront of her brain.

Her comforting daze was interrupted by a loud crash. Craning her neck around, she saw a poor Ravenclaw girl had practically fallen into her cauldron and knocked everything onto the floor, including herself, much to the Slytherin's amusement. Snarky laughter filled the room and came to an abrupt stop as quickly as it had started when Professor Snape raised his voice.

"Enough, you insolent fools," He spoke.

"And that will be twenty points from Ravenclaw. How do you all expect to take a N.E.W.T. in this subject, if you cannot produce a simple love potion without falling over yourselves?" He added rhetorically. The look of disgust was as prominent on his face as ever. Jade and her classmates eyed each other, as they all sat up straighter in their seats. She decided it would be wise to put the lid back on the cauldron for the time being until it was time for Snape to inspect her work. Rina looked at her friend, gulped, and did the same thing.

"What did you smell?" she asked.

"What did you smell?" Jade replied.

She was worried that Rina might be able to figure out who the other person was in her potion, so she was slightly reluctant to speak and be so vulnerable even if it was Rina.

"Well, er- parchment and rain- but not the general smell of it. It smells like the Quidditch pitch when it's been raining," She began.

"Or, no, not the pitch- more like someone has been playing quidditch in the rain, and it's mixed with the natural scent of their body. I have no idea who it could be." Rina added, perplexed.

The thought itched Jade's brain as well.

"Have you been having a secret affair with someone on one of the quidditch teams?" Jade teased.

"Godric, no. Have you seen those boys? Absolutely manky." She replied. Jade narrowed her eyes, perplexed. Sure, they weren't all great-looking, but she had to admit there were a few that caught her eye over the years. Rina was probably just being her theatrical self.

"Have we been watching the same game?" Jade responded with a laugh, but before Rina had time to reply, the haunting sound of a throat being cleared behind them had interrupted the moment.

"Whenever you decide to grace me with the permission to examine your work, Miss Lupin." Snape said, his look of disgust now paired with impatience.

She quickly took a step aside, as did Rina, and allowed Snape to scrutinize to his heart's content. After a few seconds, he stepped back and away from the cauldrons. His dark and unnerving gaze met Jades briefly and lingered, then moved towards Rina.