prologue

prologue
August 15th, 1978

Mallory Abbott hated being a Gryffindor in her first years, Godric, she loathed it. The constant chivalry from the young blokes, or the daring. Mallory had excepted to be sorted into Hufflepuff just like her parents, Anthony and Eloise Abbott. Growing up, hearing her father's tells, she did think she would get sorted into it and she had come to the realisation that she was far from being one. A Hufflepuff. Patience was not part of her good qualities, she feared. But, she indeed was loyal, that she was sure of. Then again, she had learned to love being a Gryffindor—everything seemed so alive there? The parties, the people, the Quidditch games, the classes. Everything.

Mallory had grown fond of a few people there; Sirius Black was one of them, he was her best mate if she dared to say so. Peter, James and Remus were good company. But, her favourite boys would always be the Prewett Twins—they had immediately taken her under their wings and she had loved every single minute of it. The girls weren't so bad, Marlene was awfully funny, Mary was the chattiest person she knew, Lily...well, the most intelligent one. The smartest of them all. They were all special in some kind of way.

Then, war happened. Ah, yes. Attacks, people dying, muggle-born being called slurs, students getting hexed in the middle of the corridors...

Mallory didn't think she had seen her being so Gryffindor-y before. They used to say that Gryffindors had a saviour complex, and she always laughed at people's face hearing such a stupid thing but now she believed. Mallory was determined. Determined to save as many people she could.

So, in June 1978, Mallory and all the seventh years graduated successfully, despite the events taking place in the real world. Outside of Hogwarts, which they believed to be the safest place. With war came chaos, death and many other things she had yet to list--but thing assured, she hadn't excepted love to come out of a such destructive time. Perhaps, it was because the time was passing too fast and young people wished to love and to lost before all this came to an end.

If it ever did.

Mallory and her group of friends, the twins included had joined the Order. Or they also called it, Dumbledore's army. Quite ridiculous if you asked her, but if she wanted to fight, she would have to be part of it. In addition to be part of the Order, she and others had managed to get into the Aurors training program.

Until, Alastar Moody decided to kidnap the insufferable Regulus Black and bring him back to their safe house, in hopes to get answers. But, instead he got better. A plan, a worthy one. Mallory would integrate the pure-bloods society, it wouldn't be so hard after all, she was aware of the manners and everything that came with it. Slowly, she would make her way into Voldemort's meetings and be the mole Dumbledore had been looking for. The missing element that would help their side win.

Mallory should have known it wouldn't be so easy to complete her task with him...the insufferable Regulus Black.

...

"Can you believe we're done with school, Mal?" Alice asked as the girls walked through Diagon Alley to Sirius and Remus' new apartment. "I'm married to Frank. Lily is with James. Marlene and Dorcas are living happily together, so are Sirius and Remus...That leaves you."

"What?" Mallory snorted, shaking her head. "I'm very happy on my own, thank you for worrying, Allie."

Alice chuckled, "That's not what I meant, Mal. I know you're happy, and you're independent but ever since you broke up with Emmeline..." she said lowly.

"Emmeline and I are on perfect terms, Allie," she replied, cutting her off.

The woman next to her sighed, "It's just...I want you to be happy, alright? With Emmeline or whoever your person might be...How about the twins, eh?"

Mallory linked her arm with Alice's laughing loudly, "Fabian is not too bad," she retorted with a smirk. "Has Dumbledore contacted you to join the Order?"

"No, not yet but I reckon he will do it soon," Alice replied unsure. "Though, I'm not sure how he will reach us, since we are both insanely busy with the Aurors training," she giggled.

Words had been going around that Dumbledore was asking a few students that he thought were talented enough to join the Order. Mallory never liked the old wizard, from what she had heard he wasn't as good as everyone stated. Voldemort had risen, the attacks were getting out of hand—there wasn't a day where Mallory would read about a new attack in the Daily Prophet. But, she did find it ridiculous for such a powerful wizard to request the help of young adults, freshly graduated from Hogwarts. So far, none of her friends were part of it except for the Prewett twins.

What Alice said was true; Mallory was way too busy with the training and sometimes she felt herself getting too caught up in it. Most of her nights were spent at the Ministry with Frank, Alice, James and Sirius. They had an order to stay until Moody didn't want them anymore, then they would get home and sleep until seven in the morning. Sometimes, they didn't sleep at all. And since Mallory didn't have a place to call home yet, she would sleep at Alice and Frank's or Sirius'. Perhaps, she could have apparated back home but Moody had personally asked her to not return home, in case someone was following her.

"Ah, finally!" Sirius shouted as he opened the door. "My favourite woman had just arrived," he added, smiling widely as he threw an arm around Mallory.

"Hello, Pads," she greeted, kissing his cheek. "How are you, eh?"

He shrugged, "You know, holding on," he muttered.

Before he could say something else, the twins walked towards her and Fabian wrapped his arms around her. He hugged her tightly as she laughed loudly, begging for him to let go of her. Not too long after, Gideon pushed him away stating he wanted to hug Mallory too. The twins were one of the few things that helped her in this chaotic world, her parents were too but she hadn't seen them a lot lately.

"Little Mallie is indeed out of her cave!" Gideon chanted, putting her down. He leaned down to kiss the side of her head as Fabian did the same, and positioned himself on the other side.

Mallory rolled her eyes, "I was not in a cave, Gid. I was simply busy," she answered.

Fabian nudged her side, "With whom? Emmeline, perhaps?" He teased as Gideon snorted. "She's a pretty thing. Emmeline, isn't she?"

"Oi!" She shouted, narrowing her eyes at Fabian who had a playful smirk on his face. "Do not speak of Emmeline," she warned as he put his hands in surrender. "Besides, I've been busy with Moody."

"Kinky," Gideon replied.

Mallory laughed one last time before sinking into the sofa next to Remus and Lily. Lily was having a heated conversation with James, Frank and Alice were whispering into each other's ears that followed with low chuckles, Remus was almost asleep as Sirius and Marlene cooked for the whole group; while Dorcas, Fabian and Gideon were watching the telly (something Sirius had begged Remus to buy). It was one of those nights where Mallory felt at peace, almost as though nothing was happening and they were all about to start their adult lives.

"Hey, Moons," she whispered as she felt his hair tickle her face. He hummed sleepily, looking up at her. "Want to lay your head into my lap? You are all twisted and I know you're tired because of your last full moon."

"Thanks, Mal," he replied before moving his body slightly so his legs were hanging off the armrests, and his head was positioning on her lap. Naturally, Mallory ran her fingers through his hair until she felt his body relax and soft snores could be heard.

She had no idea how things would get even more complicated than it was already.

—————
authors note, i have some special things planned for mal and i can't wait for you to see it!!! also the dynamic is SOOO argh, so fucking good

anyways, welcome!!! and hopefully it will be good enough to meet your expectations 🤩