Chapter 77: Bittersweet Memories

Start from the beginning

"Izin, you worked hard enough in the prison," said Chiara. "And you're helping Aang too."

"Let him help, Chiara," said Zuko.

He walked off to join Aang while Izin took the komodo chicken from her before following her inside.

"Really, Izin, you don't have to do this," she said.

"Sorry, Princess Chiara, but it's the Prince's orders."

She softly laughed as she returned to the kitchen where they continued working.

--------------------

Later in the afternoon, Chiara went out to the courtyard where Aang and Zuko were still training.

"Where is everyone?" she asked.

Zuko stopped and looked around just noticing they were gone.

"Toph wanted to work on her sandbending, so they all went to the beach," said Aang.

"Dinner's done," she said.

"All right!" said Aang excitedly. "I'll go get them."

He quickly disappeared like the wind sending a cool breeze across Zuko's skin as he passed him. Chiara sat down on the steps, and Zuko was soon sitting next to her drying off the sweat with a towel.

"How's it going?" she asked.

"He's really got potential, but sometimes he's so unfocused."

She smiled. "Complete opposite of you."

"I know he's only thirteen, but the comet's going to be here soon enough, and he has so much more to learn before then."

"I'm sure it'll work out. It has to," she added softly.

--------------------

When the others returned from the beach they all went inside where Chiara led them to the dining room. The kitchen and dining room had been thoroughly cleaned and looked to Zuko the same as when they were kids.

"Oh, Chiara, this looks great," he said.

"It wasn't just me," she said. "Izin did most of the dining room."

"Chiara, this looks great!" said Sokka with far more excitement in his voice, his eyes glued to the roasted komodo chicken on the table surrounded by biscuits, fruit, and a plate of cookies.

Everyone sat down, Zuko and Chiara sitting next to each other in the same places they sat when they were younger.

"You guys did such a good job," said Katara.

"Looks the same to me," said Toph to everyone's laughter. "But the food smells great."

They all enjoyed their meal, and afterwards, Izin cleared the table while Katara and Chiara washed the dishes.

When the others gathered outside on the patio to relax, Zuko took Chiara's hand.

"Oh no you don't," he said knowing she was off to clean another room. "Let's go for a walk."

She just smiled and walked with him as he started leading her down towards the beach.

"I think we both need a break," he said.

"Having kids is a lot of work, but I enjoy it." Toph was not there to tell her what her words did to his heartbeat, but his smile let her know.

"You know, it really is like having kids...," he said. "...teaching Aang firebending, trying to get Sokka to keep his mouth shut..."