0. A regular day in class

~

"Zombie, quit stealing Herobrine's pencils! He's going to find out that you use them for... For whatever the heck you're doing with them!" Within a few seconds, a storm of pencils go flying at Skeleton.

Skeleton yelps, hopping behind Herobrine's desk for cover. The rest of the students started joining in, chucking pencils like arrows at Skeleton. Wither was the exception, rolling his eyes and remaining seated at his desk.

"What is the meaning of this?" The flinging of pencils instantly stops, all of the guilty students slowly turning around with horrified looks on their faces. There stood their pupilless teacher, Herobrine. He had an unamused expression across his face.

"Teacher, save me! Everyone's ganging up on me!" Skeleton whines from behind Herobrine's desk. Herobrine rolls his eyes, tired of all of his students' antics. They rarely took much of anything seriously.

"Everyone, back to your seats. Zombie, pick up all of these pencils and return them to my cup holder."

"But I-!"

"No buts. I know very well that you were the one that started this whole thing. Pick the pencils up, now." Zombie trudges to the front of the teacher's desk, groaning quietly as he starts to pick up the mess he made.

"Alright, class. Today we're going to discuss a few important topics regarding crafting. This is going to be a hands-on activity, and everyone will be required to participate." A few groans are heard, in which Herobrine glares in response.

Herobrine claps his hands and instantly teleports everyone to an empty grass field surrounded by trees. The students are standing in a near-perfect horizontal line.

"Alright, students. Today's goal is to gather the required materials to craft the item I've assigned to you. Any student that successfully completes this assignment will be rewarded with a single gold ingot."

"Slime," Herobrine says, "I want you to craft a wooden sword."

"What?! But that's so easy!" Zombie complains.

"Is it? Slime is armless. It'll be a challenge for him. In fact, I've decided I want you to craft an iron block."

"What?!"

Herobrine finishes assigning the rest of his students things to craft, taking a comfortable seat on the grass. "Oh, and the time limit is an hour. Start!"

Another wave of groans is heard before all of the students set off to find materials.

~

"I can't believe Herobrine assigned me to craft an iron sword!" Pigman complains.

"At least he didn't assign you to craft a goddamn iron block!" Pigman and Zombie decided to work together in finding iron ores. Firstly, they had to collect some wood to create a crafting table. Afterwards, they needed to craft wooden pickaxes that they would eventually use in a cave.

...The two mobs decided to do none of this. It was too much work for a gold ingot anyway.

"We should sneak up on the others and prank them!" Zombie suggests with a grin.

"I don't know, dude. Last time you pulled that Herobrine made you stay after class for detention..."

"Oh, please. Herobrine isn't going to find out. I bet he's using this time to catch up on his zzzs. It'll be fine!" Pigman considers this for a moment before nodding reluctantly. "Alright, alright... I guess we have nothing better to do anyway."

"That's more like it! Now, c'mon! I have a few ideas..."

"What have I gotten myself into...," Pigman mutters before following after Zombie.

~

Skeleton decided to go off finding his materials alone. He didn't really get along too well with most of his classmates, so he often worked on his assignments alone. It was a bit lonely at times, but who was he to complain?

Skeleton's assigned item to craft was relatively easy. He was asked to craft a furnace. Skeleton sets off into a nearby cave with a pickaxe he crafted moments ago.

It only took him a few minutes to collect the needed eight blocks of cobblestone. He pulls out a crafting table, placing it onto the grass.

As he starts to craft the furnace, he hears quiet rustling behind him. He turns his head, scanning his surroundings and shrugging when he doesn't spot anything.

"This is going to be perfect," Zombie whispers. Pigman looked pretty unsure about this plan.

"I don't know, dude... Don't you think that this prank is taking it a bit too far?"

"No! Besides, Skeleton should be skilled enough to fight off a single wolf." Zombie chuckles quietly, unleashing the wolf he had found in the woods.

The wolf starts barking as it charges at Skeleton in full speed. Skeleton screams, completely abandoning his crafting table and materials.

Zombie bursts out laughing. "That was hilarious!"

"..." Pigman remains silent, a guilty look on his face.

~

"...It seems my students have a minute left. I hope at least some of them took this assignment seriously." Herobrine was checking his watch closely. He is interrupted from his thoughts when he hears a loud scream coming from the forest.

"...I guess a minute early shouldn't make a difference." Herobrine claps his hands, teleporting all of his students in a horizontal line in front of him. He notices the terrified look on Skeleton's face.

"Goodness, Skeleton, what's got you looking so spooked?" Zombie asks, stifling a laugh.

"Enough. I want all of you to hand me your crafted items, starting with Zombie."

One by one, all the students but Wither and Slime listed their excuses as to why they couldn't complete their assignment.

"I couldn't find a cave," Enderman says.

"...Enderman, you could've easily teleported to a random cave. You of all mobs have no excuse as to why you couldn't craft a stone axe."

"...I couldn't find sugarcane..."

"Ghast, there was a lake just a mile away from here."

Herobrine was tired of the excuses. "Alright, class. Listen up. Some of you need to take these assignments more seriously."

"But, teacher!" Enderman complains, "We don't want to waste our time crafting random things! I miss when we'd actually go on fun adventures together as a class!"

"Yeah, what happened to that, huh? Now school's just boring..." A chorus of agreement.

"Enough!" Herobrine shouts, capturing everyone's attention. "All of you but Wither and Slime will be staying after class for detention. If I hear but a peep from any of you, the whole class is going to have detention for the next week! Have I made myself clear?"

All of the students nod, and Herobrine teleports everyone back to the classroom.

This is going to be a long year, Herobrine thinks with a sigh.

~

A/n: This chapter's purpose was for the reader (you!) to get an introduction on my AU of Monster School.