Book 1, Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

The silence proved suffocating as the small metallic CLANG of his crown clattering to the floor was the only thing that echoed. To Yuu, it sounded like the toll of a warning bell, one that would mark the beginning of disaster.

The red-head stumbled back, clutching his face, eyes wild and clouded in shock. Riddle seemed to shrink under Ace's powerful glare, suddenly seeming tiny as he registered the hit.

"W-what?" He managed to get out while Trey and Cater rushed to his side. Whether it was to attempt to calm him down or concern for his well-being, Yuu could not tell.

Yuu did not completely register the Headmage running over, desperately trying to deescalate the situation.

"Bam! Right cross to the face!" Grim cheered, scampering over to Yuu, who simply gaped at the scene, her anger completely dissipating.

"A-Ace?!" Deuce yelped, eyes wide.

"That's all I can take. Forget Riddle. Forget the duel. I'm done." Ace growled, unclenching his fist.

"That hurt! You... p-punched me?!" He yelped, looking towards Ace in disbelief.

"Kids aren't trophies for their parents to flaunt. And the accomplishments of a child aren't determined by the worth of their parents." Ace glared at the red-haired tyrant in response, eyes shining with reckless righteousness.

"It's not your parents' fault you became a tyrant - or anyone else's." He stepped toward his housewarden, a little bolder. "You've been here a year and haven't even made a friend who will tell you you're outta line. And that's on you."

"What are you even talking about?" Riddle asked, a dangerous calm washing over his features. Yuu's mind flashed to the courtroom in her dreams, eyes widening.

"Yeah, maybe you had some rigid upbringing from a relentless helicopter-mom. Is that all you are? An extension of her? Can't you think for yourself?" Ace ignored the older boy, opting to continue speaking while Yuu unglued herself from her spot. I have to stop this... something is going to happen.

"You call yourself the 'red sovereign'? You're just a baby who's good at magic." Ace snapped.

"Why, you're not a queen. You're just a fat, pompous, bad-tempered ty-tyrant..." Alice's voice echoed in her head.

"Baby...?" Came Riddle's meek voice, slowly regaining its natural anger. "Did you just call me a 'baby'?!"

"What were you saying, my dear?" The Queen's voice rumbled. Yuu grabbed onto Ace's sleeve, tugging.

"Ace. C'mon, stop it." She asked, Ace waving her away.

"You don't know anything about me! You don't know anything about anything!" Riddle howled, turning a bright red.

"Nope, sure don't. And I don't need to. Your attitude tells me all I need to know - that you're nothing but a spoiled brat!" Ace sneered.

Yuu felt cold, the hair on her arms standing on end as she pulled on his jacket again, this time, harder. "Ace." She warned anxiously, eyeing Riddle who snapped his gaze upwards, eyes maddened.

"Shut up, shut up, shut UP!" He shook his head, voice descending into a deranged tone, wild and desperate eyes, resembling those of a cornered stray cat. "My mother was right! And that means I'm right too!"

Trey walked up, anxiously placing a hand over Riddle's shoulder. "Riddle, calm down. The duel is already over." He spoke.

"Mr. Clover is correct. The challenger has been disqualified due to physical violence." Crowley informed as Yuu tried to coax Ace away from what her senses perceived as a threat. "If you do not cease your conflict now, I'll have you written up for breaking school rules!"

"Ace is right, though! I've had enough of Riddle!" Someone from the crowd called out, surprising Yuu.

Suddenly, two white, flying items flew by Yuu, one of which she managed to catch the other colliding with the side of Riddle's head. Both cracking upon impact.

Yuu wrinkled her nose distastefully at the slimy feeling that coated her hand. She looked down, paling slightly. The items that had been thrown had been eggs. Yuu looked at Riddle.

"Huh?!" Riddle touched the spot, examining the white shell and the yellow liquid of the yolk that coated his finger tips.

Trey stood, shellshocked as he managed a single question. "An... egg?"

Riddle turned toward the crowd, face darkening as it turned red. "Who did that? Who threw that egg?!" He demanded.

The students remained silent.

For a moment, Riddle remained silent, his mood unpredictable as Yuu felt the familiarity of the temperature becoming cold.

"Yuu... please... You need to go." Anthony's voice whispered in her ear, pleading for her to leave. Yuu looked at the headmage, attempting to signal the man, to warn him.

Yuu began to shiver violently as Riddle began to laugh; a horrible, deranged, hollow cackle echoed in the ears of all those present.

"You say YOU'RE fed up?! I'M the one who's fed up with all of YOU! No matter how strict I am, no matter how many heads I remove, you keep breaking the rules!" Riddle howled accusingly. "All any of you care about is doing what YOU want to do! If the guilty party won't come forward, then I'll pass judgment on all of you!"

Riddle's eyes clouded over slightly, blinded with the wrath he held deep within his heart. Much to Yuu's horror, he began to spiral.

"Clearly, none of you value your heads! Off With Your Heads!" He bellowed. As the other student yelped in pain.

"How do you like that, hm?" Riddle howled a maniacal laugh. "Now no one can do a thing to me! Do you see now? My strict adherence to the rules was clearly the correct path!" He announced, slicing the air in front of him with his staff.

Crowley moved himself in front of Yuu and Ace, this time addressing the crazed housewarden. "Cease this improper behavior now, Mr. Rosehearts. I expect better from you!"

"Trey, if he keeps using his spell... This could get ugly, fast!" Cater called to Trey, nervous.

The tall, green-haired boy nodded in understanding, turning to Riddle with a gentle, pleading expression. "Riddle, stop this!"

"Wow, way to totally prove me wrong here, pal!" Ace scoffed, re-making himself the target of Riddle's ire. Yuu looked at him, disbelieving of how reckless Ace could be. "I call you a baby, and you immediately throw a temper tantrum!"

"Retract your comment immediately, or I shall skewer you where you stand!" Riddle snarled like a feral animal, holding his staff out as if it were a sword.

Yuu's heart began beating heavily. "Ace. Stop."

"No way. I ain't retractin' squat." Ace refused, ignoring Yuu's third warning.

Riddle gave a cry of outrage, eyes flaring as he raised his staff.

"Dude, this is bad! You've G-2-G, now!" Cater warned, eyes wide.

Yuu turned to Grim, who'd yowled in terror, clinging to her legs. "Henchman! The rose trees! They're floating!"

Her head snapped up, looking around, her eyes widening in horror as several trees began to float.

"Mighty roses, tear this brute to pieces!" Riddle waved, smile wide and insane as his head began to drip a familiar-looking ink-like substance.

"Yuu! Please! Run!"

"Cease and desist at once!" Crowley called, attempting to push Yuu behind him.

"Dammit Ace!" Yuu pulled her arm away from him, running forward as she pushed Ace away. "MOVE!"

Ace released a gasp as Yuu looked to him tearfully. She placed a hand over her stomach.

I'm so sorry... I couldn't protect you.

Yuu closed her eyes, bracing for impact.