Chapter 17: Lost

"Daryl, she is gone." Mom said from afar, she noticed my sorrow was deep and my pain grew ever so steadily.

"Really? My best friend is gone, the one who I had spent all of my time with in this place. He was always there, she would always come and jump on me, and bring me to the ground.

...

While everyone is happy, one is sad.

And while many were ecstatic.

They lose what they previously had.

Mom, was generally happy until she remembered what she had forgot to tell me, Sandy was gone. A golden retriever that my parents had adopted when we moved into the farm-like area. Sandy was by far my only friend on the acreage, we were miles away from any living soul. Sandy and I would spend countless hours running around the acreage, trying to fetch or play some imaginative game we made up. She was what kept me alive knowing at the time, I had no friends, a lack in parental support, and a overall lonely life.

...

"Is there something wrong?" Asked mom.

"No Mom, there is nothing wrong, I just caught June cheating on me, and Sandy's gone, and I have a book to finish in a week, and I hate this life right now!" Daryl screams at the top of his lungs, slowly but progressively increasing his volume.

"I am so sorry Daryl, I never knew. How do you know June cheated on you?" She asked trembling in fear of me. 

"I walked right in on her." I said nearly silently.

"They were?"

"No Mom, it could've been a hug, or a kiss, or something more I don't know, It just really hurts you know." I said hesitantly, I was expecting a supportive response from my mother, but I was just making a fool of myself thinking that.

"So, you didn't actually see anything happen?" 

"No, I didn't, but when you see your wife looking into the eyes of another man, it is pretty obvious..." I said mocking what she had just said.

"I think you made a big mistake Daryl, you really did it this time." Mom said cutting me off.

"Whatever, this just sucks and it is so stupid and I am sick and tired of being broken-hearted." I said with a shaking voice that cut in and out every few seconds.

"Where is dad?" I asked, I had just screamed at my mother and normally my father would be out in an instant.

"He is away, attending an agricultural school up in Canada, he had been applying for months and finally they just accepted him." Mom said as she started to get excited.

"Really! Thats fantastic, I love that Dad can finally pursue his dream." Honestly, this was the only happy moment that had appeared in my day so far. It really lifted my spirit and left me enlightened.

"Daryl, I'm going to give you some advice."

"Okay, shoot." I said expecting a motivational speech that I wouldn't really find useful.

"I think you should go and find somewhere alone, just think about your life right now, you always told me how June was the one and you would never let her go." Mom said with her head down and a tear appearing in her eye. She never liked to see me like this, as much as I hated her advice and all the motivation she tried to provide, I think I had better listen to her this time.

"Okay I will, thanks Mom, I love you so much." I said, and I meant it. Even though I had a lack of a motherly figure centered in my life, when things got awful, she was always there.

...

I found an old spot by a tree in the middle of the field, it was surrounded by a yellow wheat and fresh green grass. I sat down with my back up against the tree and I pulled my notebook out of my backpack.

Tornados are swirling.

Like you are twirling.

A slow romance.

Made through a quick slow dance.

Your eyes are pretty.

And you face is pure.

The person you are is witty.

And it is all I can....

...

For the bright horizon, I saw a little blue car pull up, It was shiny and clean. Slowly stepped out a brunette with long hair and unforgettable sunglasses, it was June. Of all people the least I wanted to see is June, after she cheated on the vows we had promised for each other.

"I vow to love you with every bit of my soul and be eternally grateful for the angel I have gotten so lucky with.."

"I vow to never stop loving you, cheat, break our promises, but most of all, leave you left alone in the darkness of our world."

I think reminiscing on the past is awful, there are many moments where life is heaven, while there are probably a greater amount of moments where life is hell. This may be written in the stars and it could be fate, but a vow is a promise that I will not break under any circumstance whatsoever. 

In my peripherals I see my Mom point into my direction and I slowly lift my hand and wave. June quickly walks over to my spot, and even quicker develops tears flowing down her blush red cheeks.

"Daryl, I've been looking everywhere for you." She said calmly.

"Why so you can tell my how nice his arms were, and how good his lips tasted." I sharply replied with an extremely harsh tone.

"Daryl, I can't tell you how sorry I am, one thing led to another and before I knew it he had me up against the wall, and you never romanticize me anymore." She said as she sat down and started to cry on my shoulder.

"So you did cheat on me, with him." I asked obviously irritated with the conversation.

"I didn't want to, but he kinda forced some stuff on me." She said with a disappointed look on her face.

"He did what!" I screamed.

She begged and begged, but I was already long gone. The question wandering all of our minds is what holds the future, because I am pretty sure it's breaking one moment at a time.