Chapter 2 - The Gorilla

Start from the beginning

            "Hello," he begins and now a smile has grown fully on his face. He has pretty nice teeth, but his canines look unusually sharp.

            "What do you think you're doing?" I ask, surprised at how calm my voice sounds.

            "What was that little girl? Have I done something wrong?" Amusement touches his voice as if he hasn't been talked to like this very often. His comment royally pissed me off, who does he think he's calling a little girl.

            "That seat is taken and who do you think your calling little girl, you giant gorilla!" My voice started out calm, but it raised and sped up out of anger.

            "Is that so? Who? There is no one else on the bus."

            "No, you're right; there is no one on the bus. However, I am using that seat."

            I cross my arms over my chest and lean back against the window, hoping he will move because I won't be able to forcibly move him because of size difference and I am also supposed to be locked up. I stare him down, not moving or flinching, and he smiles back. He is fully aware that I won't be able to move him. Finally, he slouches back and doesn't move. One of the guards comes to where he sits and leans over the guy to attach the cuffs to the pole stuck on the wall. The guard finished the turns to look at me and silently I reattach the cuffs to myself as the guard's eyes reach my hands.

            He gets off the bus and heads back inside with the other three. None of them turn to see us off, they walk together talking to one another about something that appears to be hilarious because one guard tilts his head back and laughs into the sky. Not one looks back, no one gives a second thought or glance toward me, all knowing where I will be headed and who knows whether I will make it back. The three of them enter the police building once again and the door slowly shuts forever separating them from those of us who have no place being among them. The sound of the metal grate shutting and being locked into place brings me back realizing that I am stuck here on this bus with an indifferent bus driver and a boy who won't stop smirking. Then, the driver starts the vehicle and we drive off once again out of the city and into seas of crops as far as the eye can see.

*                                              *                                              *

The sun is bright and shining, covering the land in light. An annoying brightness that won't go away. This is normally the part in movies when the sky is dark with clouds and the rain just starts to fall from the sky, but this isn't a movie.

Tall grass sways slightly in a breeze that sweeps the ground, almost like a caress. An area of rocks is lining the side of the road going swiftly by, just a blur of grays. We are on an old road covered in cracks and the painted marks are extremely faded, just a faint reminder that this isn't quite the middle of nowhere.

            Out the window everything goes by rapidly, there one second and gone the next. Soon, I am daydreaming, not really about anything particular, but spacing out makes everything seem like it might just fade away in a flash, never to be relived again. My mind clears and patches of green and yellow blow by only realizing that something is there, possibly worth witnessing, only to be tossed away.

            The cuffs have begun to dig into my wrists once again and making raw red circles the seemingly lack blood circulation. I take my hand and reach up into my hair and find the bobby pin. This time I am able to get the cuffs undone much faster than my first go at them, but not quickly enough because the guy sitting next to me sees movement and automatically turns his head in my direction.