001

The breeze rippled through the water as the cruise ship sailed through the calm oceans. Most of the two hundred passengers were on the balcony, enjoying the weather while it lasted. The next month was to be rainy and stormy.

Fourteen-year-old Yoon Jeonghan let the wind hit his face, his longish black hair flowing in with the breeze. He felt at peace here, in the middle of the ocean, his mother standing beside him with her hand on his shoulder. He wondered if this was what it was like up in Heaven.

"Are you enjoying this?" asked his mother, her long, wavy black hair flying behind her.

Jeonghan nodded, smiling. "I love this, Eomma. I love this a lot."

Suddenly, the ship bounced, nearly sending Jeonghan and a few others flying over the edge. Luckily, his mother caught him before he could fall into the ocean.

"What was that?" asked Jeonghan, trembling in his mother's arms, terrified from his near-death experience.

"I expect we simply hit a rock. Nothing much." said his mother. "Are you alright?"

Jeonghan nodded shakily. "I've been better, but at least I'm alive."

The boat lurched again, and this time, someone did fall over the edge. The surrounding passengers screamed, clearly horrified.

"We should get away from the edge." said Jeonghan's mother, starting to hurry away. But suddenly...

The boat completely overturned. Jeonghan closed his eyes and screamed, bracing himself for his seemingly certain death.

He felt the water consume him, soaking his entire body. He was underwater, struggling to breathe. He kicked his feet desperately, not wanting to die like this.

And to his relief, he managed to swim to the top, fresh air filling his lungs. He opened his eyes and wiped the water out of them.

When he could finally see again, he looked around, desperate to sink into his mother's embrace. But...

"Eomma? Where are you?"

There was no response. Jeonghan started to panic.

"Eomma? Eomma!"

There were a few people above the water with him, some conscious, and some quite the opposite. Jeonghan quickly swam to the person closest to him and examined his face.

This kid had to be around the same age as Jeonghan, maybe a few months older. His eyes were gently closed, his lips parted, water pouring into his mouth. Jeonghan had to admit, he felt a little sorry for this kid.

Without thinking, he took his limp body carefully and turned him over, letting the water in his mouth pour out. Then he gently closed the boy's lips and looked back at the ship, which was barely above the water now. He couldn't go back there. But there was an island, not too far from there, where he could rest.

But what about his mother?

And then he saw her. Floating lifeless in the sea, her body submerged in the water. There was no way she could have survived.

Tears came to his eyes, but he wiped them away impatiently. He had to be strong for his mother. He had to make her proud. He had to save the unconscious boy in his arms.

So he started kicking his feet again, hoping it would be enough to get him to shore. He panted as he swam, his arms shaking from the effort of carrying the boy. He looked up and sighed, seeing how far away the island was.

But he forced himself to keep going. He couldn't stop now. What would his mother think of him?

He wasn't sure how long it took, but he eventually made it to land, exhausted. He laid the boy carefully in the sand and raised a shaking hand to attempt to climb onto the island. He barely managed to make it before collapsing, his thoughts a painful mixture of exhaustion, sadness, and fear.