Dinner 1 & Drinks

There was a smell to the Bnagkok Metro police headquarters that annoyed Kongpob the longer he stayed. Artificial citrus mixed with new-car-leather meant to leave an impression of freshness and professionalism. It made Kongpob feel like he had spent the entire day in a car dealership with lights that gave him a headache.

In the lift, Kongpob jabbed the button for the lobby and massaged his temples.

He had spent hours staring at counterfeit passports and rap sheets and as much as he hated it, he needed to admit defeat. He was exhausted and there was nothing in his fridge. He swiped to the Foodpanda delivery app on his phone, wondering how long it's been since he'd used it.

Then the lift doors opened and adrenaline zipped to the top of his head.

"Arthit Rojnapat?" he said.

The familiar head of curls turned and there was that even more familiar face. Laugh lines, surprised eyes. "Oh, Kongpob."

An unfamiliar flush of excitement zinged through him. Kongpob crossed the lobby. "What are you doing in Bangkok?"

"Following up on a lead." Right, Arthit was a private investigator now. He'd also let his hair grow long. His fringe was in his eyes, which glinted with amusement.

Kongpob straightened his coat, hoping he wasn't the punchline.

"Are you free now?" Arthit asked. "Let's have dinner."

Another rush of adrenaline. Kongpob forced the sides of his lips to stay down. "I told you not to use banmal(ธรรมดา) with me." Where did Arthit want to go? Kongpob had no recommendations. Maybe he could use Foodpanda to check the places he used to order from.

"There's a porkstewer's place nearby we can walk to."

"Okay."

Arthit smirked as if Kongpob had just done something cute. "You should tell your partner goodbye first though."

"Partner?" The Foreign Affairs inspector who'd been assigned to help him during his consultation stared dumbly at him. Right, they'd been on the lift down together. "Have a good evening, Inspector Nat," Kongpob said lamely.

"Uh yeah," said Inspector Nat.

Kongpob smelled the Pork Skewers before he saw it. Outdoor seating, the large hot plate embedded in the table sizzled as Arthit added more sauce to the mix. Kongpob was going to have to shampoo his hair and pre-soak his clothes.

"Stop pouting. The ladies behind me are taking photos," said Arthit.

Kongpob snapped his head up, looking over Arthit's shoulder at the table of university students minding their own business. Kongpob scowled. "Aren't you a little old to be playing pranks?"

"How could I have forgotten that Inspector Kongpob Suthiluck doesn't know how to take a joke?" Arthit sighed dramatically.

"Why should I? Your jokes aren't funny."

"Ho, ho, listen to this cheeky brat. See if I invite you out for dinner again." Arthit scooped meat into a lettuce parcel.

"As if I --"

"Ah," said Arthit. Kongpob stared at him. "Ah," Arthit said again, miming opening his mouth.

Kongpob opened his mouth. Arthit fed him the parcel.

"Don't spit on me. You'll be wasting good meat," said Arthit. Kongpob chewed slowly, too shocked to do anything else. "On long days like this, you need two things: food and alcohol."

Kongpob swallowed his food. "We're driving."

"Right. So, open up."

Kongpob slapped Arthit's hand away before he could try and feed him again, which only made Arthit laugh and Kongpob bristle.

Arthit was still oblique in a way that should be exhausting. Yet Kongpob felt a small thrill in turning Arthit this way and that, holding him up to the light to guess at what he was thinking. And while Kongpob's track record of being right wasn't the best, he highly doubted Arthit simply wanted to test how much of his mysophobia remained.

Outdoor seating. A shared hot plate. Kongpob was never coming back to this place again.

They walked back together to the police headquarters. As Kongpob climbed into his SUV, the long day rushed back and he sagged against the seat.

Arthit's sedan passed in front of him. He was drivingone-handed; his other hand carelessly brushing hair out of his eyes