Chapter 2 (Siren)

“All we know from our inside intel is that the villains will attack here-“ Chief Commissioner Levi pointed to a location on the floating map - “at exactly 2pm sharp. We don’t know why or with how much manpower, but we know we have to stop them.” The hologram shifted to zoom in on the location of the supposed attack, Siren had to blink his eyes to get rid of the nausea that it caused him.

“The High Heroes’ Commission? Why would they go for that?” Flashpoint chimed in from across the table. She was laid back with her feet propped up on the glass desk, fiddling with her hair, part of which, she’d dyed rainbow only a few months ago. Siren remembered back to when they were newly introduced heroes, fresh from the academy and still buzzing with excitement. As Siren and Flashpoint were standing with the rest of their graduating class, they had been told that they would each get a manager to oversee their public identity. He saw Flashpoint’s expression immediately sink. Her whole idea of being a hero was that she would finally get the freedom to help people the way she wanted to. So, when she showed up to Siren’s office with hair dyed rainbow, bright in-your-face colours against the wishes and advice of her managers, suffice to say, Siren was speechless.
“Aren’t they meant to be some small criminal organisation? Going for the HHC would be a death wish.” She leant forward and lowered her feet from the table, for a fraction of a second, her gaze flicked to Siren, giving him a knowing look.

“Well, like I said, we don’t know why or with how many forces, but we know that they’re coming,” Levi took a leant to put his hands on the table and let out a deep sigh.

“So what I’m trying to say is that we need the two of you to go and stop this operation before it hurts more people than it needs to.” His gaze flicked from Flashpoint to Siren, back to Flashpoint again. “Is that understood?” Both heroes nodded their heads, stood up from their chairs, and looked over to each other. Siren gave Flashpoint a knowing look as a notification pinged on both their telecommunicators. Every hero was given a device called a telecommunication unit after graduation. Though nobody ever called them that, in the hero world, it was common to call them pingers after the sound they make when you receive a new mission.

“I want minimal casualties. I’m looking at you, Flashpoint,” Commissioner Levi called out as the pair began to walk out the room, though it wasn’t the worst comment to make. Flashpoint’s most notorious appearance was when she let her flashy personality get in the way of a mission, costing the safety of multiple civilians.

“Hey! That was one time… and it’s been four years now!” She exclaimed incredulously. “Besides, that was when I was just out of the academy!” Siren chuckled at her offended tone and walked past her, offering a pat on the back as he did.

“Come on, let's go. We need to start getting ready and prepared for this hell hole of a mission.” He smiled warmly at her, and she let out a grunt of annoyance.

“Whatever,” Flashpoint grumbled under her breath as she turned to follow him out of the room and then the building.