Chapter 9: Dumbledore's Army

Start from the beginning

I slipped the photos into my robes without her noticing as Albus took the parchment from Fudge. I'd expected him to say something in his defense but he looked up, a smile spreading across his face.

"Well, the game is up," he began. "Would you like a written confession from me, Cornelius... or will a statement before these witnesses suffice?"

Minerva, Kingsley, and I exchanged a glance as none of us were exactly sure what was happening but we knew this wasn't going to end well.

"Statement?" Fudge asked, seeming confused. "What — I don't — ?"

"Dumbledore's Army, Cornelius," Albus replied, still smiling as he waved the list of names before Fudge's face. "Not Potter's Army. Dumbledore's Army."

"But — but —" Fudge was slowly beginning to understand. "You?" he whispered.

"That's right,"Albus replied.

"You organized this?"

"I did."

"You recruited these students for — for your army?"

"Tonight was supposed to be the first meeting," Albus continued. "Merely to see whether they would be interested in joining me. I see now that it was a mistake to invite Miss Edgecombe, of course."

"Then you have been plotting against me!" Fudge yelled.

"That's right," Albus answered.

"No!" Harry shouted.

I could see Minerva and Kingsley glare at him in warning. The message was clear. Do not interfere.

"No- Professor Dumbledore!"

"Be quiet, Harry, or I am afraid you will have to leave my office," Albus hissed.

"Yes, shut up, Potter!" Fudge hissed, though he was still watching Albus carefully.

"Albus, you can't-."

"Professor Y/l/n," Albus warned. Minerva moved beside me, taking my hand in hers.

"Well, well, well... I came here tonight expecting to expel Potter and instead-"

"Instead you get to arrest me," Dumbledore said, interrupting Fudge. "It's like losing a Knut and finding a Galleon, isn't it?"

Fudge seemed particularly excited as he ensured Percy had written everything down. I stared at him as he'd finished writing but he couldn't meet my eyes. Fudge ordered the notes be sent to the Daily Prophet before Percy left the room to complete these orders as Fudge turned to Albus once again.

"You will now be escorted back to the Ministry, where you will be formally charged and then sent to Azkaban to await trial!"

"Ah," Albus said, moving slowly away from his desk. "Yes. Yes, I thought we might hit that little snag."

"You seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to... what is the phrase? 'Come quietly' Well I can tell you this... I have no intention of going to Azkaban."

Dumbledore turned to Minerva and I, winking before a loud bang could be heard through the office. I felt Minerva push me down before her hand slipped from mine and I saw her move toward Harry, pulling him to the ground. I breathed a sigh of relief as the dust slowly began to clear.

"We don't have long," Albus said. "I had to hex Kingsley as well or it would've looked suspicious. "He was remarkably quick on the uptake, modifying Miss Edgecombe's memory like that while everyone was looking the other way. Thank him for me, won't you, Minerva?"

She nodded.

"Now, they will all awake very soon and it will be best if they do not know that we had time to communicate. You must act as though no time has passed, as though they were merely knocked to the ground, they will not remember-."

"Where will you go, Dumbledore? Grimmauld Place?" Minerva asked.

Dumbledore shook his head, assuring us that he was not going into hiding and the Minister would soon regret having dislodged him from Hogwarts, before turning to Harry, making him promise to practice Occlumency and close his mind.

"Y/n," he continued, turning to me. "You must keep yourself out of trouble if you can but... promise me you'll look after the boy... from both sides." He gave me a knowing look and I could practically feel my heart dropping to my stomach. "I know it's not what any of us wanted but... I fear we have no choice. Their connection is getting stronger and if Severus and Harry are unable to... make any progress." His voice lowered as he spoke and my heart was racing. Minerva took my hand once again, squeezing it gently as Albus continued. "I fear we have no choice. We cannot wait anymore. We need another member... and we need it now."

Harry stared at me confused but I shook my head, pulling him into a hug. "It's nothing to worry about, Harry."

I could see he wanted to argue more but he decided against it. I released Harry and Albus pulled me into a hug, though I knew this wasn't simply a sentimental act. This was confirmed as he whispered in my ear.

"We need you, Y/n."

I swallowed thickly, pulling away from him as Dawlish began to stir. Fawkes swooped overhead and in a flash of light Albus was gone. Minerva looked at me, tears in her eyes as the ministry members began waking up. Life as we knew it was about to change forever.