Chapter Five

Least

They're no longer my problem.

That's what's important. The sooner I finish my task with the vanishing kingdom, the sooner I'll be free–even though it'll only be for a few months, I get to get away from all of this. From this castle, from the Golden Queen, from the kingdoms, from being Mara Starling... At least that, I get to do.

None of these will be my problem.

Nanatili ang tingin ko sa loob ng selda. Mahigit isang oras na ang nakalipas, pero wala pa rin... I shook my head. 'None of it will be my problem.', I kept reminding myself.

The witch, who's being questioned for more than an hour now inside her cell hasn't spoken a word still. No matter how she screams, curses, and cries because of whatever Selera's doing with her mind and body... there's still nothing yet.

Her body was already broken on the ground, bathing in her blood and crippled. Selera broke her wand and that left her defenseless, which means she could do anything to her... But I'm not so sure if these methods of the Queen's sister are effective.

"Hindi niya mapapasok ang kanyang isipan?" tanong ko kay Phileis na nakatayo sa katabi ko at naghihintay rin. Umiling-iling siya na nakatutok pa rin ang mga mata sa nagaganap sa loob.

"Once a witch's wand was broken, she's completely mortal. Selera can no longer bind her mind to hers."

I silently nodded and stood straight to stretch. My body's already aching from all the leaning on the walls and doing nothing but watching and waiting. Not waiting for the information that will burst out of the witch's mouth like Phileis, but waiting for the order that will allow me to kill the olden witch.

"Nagtataka ako..." sambit ni Phileis. He paused for a while as the witch screamed again in agony then he continued. "Nagtataka ako kung bakit sa oras pa mismo ng pagbibigay-pugay para sa Eirian siya pumasok. She could've entered earlier or later than that. Or at least, disguise herself as a guest."

"I think she knew she'll get caught." I answered while looking at the hideous witch.

Phileis sighed. "Naiinip ka na ba at nagmamadali kang patayin na siya?"

"Yes. I want this over with." Dealt with. Quick, dead, and done. And then I'll be gone. That's how I planned it before I came down to the dungeons. Pero mukhang matatagalan pa ito...

"She won't say anything." I said and took a step forward towards the doors of her cell. I held on the lock and was about to unlock it when I felt a hand grip my arm.

"It's not your call." Phileis grunt silently behind me. "Step away, Mara."

Sumulyap ako sa kanya. "We've been here for hours, Phileis. Haven't you realize anything yet?"

Kumunot ang noo niya. Humarap ako sa kanya at hinila siya papalapit sa akin. Tumingin ako sa paligid bago bumulong. "Wala tayong makukuha sa kanya," panimula ko. "Her intentions were already too clear when I fought her. She was ready to be captured when I took her down. This... Being here might be a part of some plan."

"Are you saying she just wants to die now?"

I shook my head. "She threatened me before the ravensiels took her. It's as if she's certain she'll get out of here."

"How?"

"That I don't know." I shrugged. "I guess it's for us to find out."

"Don't you want to find out now?"

Umiling ako. "Not until the Golden Queen will give me the order to make my move. I'll do every necessary torture to every relative the witch has if that's what it takes."