Chapter 19 - Attie

I slam my complete test on Mr. Ali's desk and grab my stuff from my desk as fast as I can.

"Wow, you must seem proud," he mutters to himself while nibbling on a date.

Side note: exhausted is the correct term. I don't want to look at another equation for the rest of this fucking day.

Amy, who had finished her test minutes before I had, decided to be a good friend and wait for me to finish up. Bad idea because I just happened to be the last person in the class to finish the chapter test and lunch is almost over. If we even wanted to grab lunch, then we'd have five minutes to run over to the cafeteria to wait in line, grab food (and pay for it) and eat at the speed of rabbits eating carrots before the next class.

Amy opens the door for me since I'm still trying to gather my stuff all in one big pile before the cold air hits me, causing me to shiver. I shouldn't have worn such a thin sweater, especially in the late hours of September.

My arms start to feel tired and I let Amy get a head start to the cafeteria.

"You sure?" She asks me. "I don't mind waiting."

"Your dad probably wants to talk to you anyway so I'll just meet you there," I insist. Her dad always asks to meet with her for a moment before lunch. I don't understand why but I'm not about to question his parenting.

"Okay." She peers over my shoulder and tilts her head. "Though, I can guarantee that you won't be alone." She nods at whatever's behind me before walking off, leaving me to ponder what it could be.

Curiosity gets the best of me and I leave my bag and books on the floor before catching a glimpse at Ian. He's not really doing anything but resting his head on the back of his lockers. His eyes are closed and headphones are in so I don't think he notices that I'm right nearby.

Is he asleep? I think so...

But who would fall asleep in the hallways? Apparently my fake boyfriend.

Neglecting my items, I take a seat next to him on the ground and wait. For what exactly? For the bell to ring since that will wake him up, no doubt. As soon as I make myself comfortable on the cold floor, I hear him stirring and his eyes slowly open. A grin begins to appear on his face the moment his eyes meet mine. "How long have you been sitting here?"

"Watching you sleep?" I raise a brow. "Not long."

"I wasn't sleeping."

"Sure you weren't," I tease. "It's not like your eyes weren't closed."

"That's all I did. I swear, princess. I closed my eyes for one second and you suddenly just appeared out of nowhere."

I'm just messing with him but the slightly petrified look on his face, matching perfectly with tinted cheeks—is just priceless. Like resting your head on the lockers is a crime punishable by death.

I bite my lip, holding back any laughter that dares to escape. "Okay."

"I just—" Ian glances at my face, which is probably beet red—I can feel how warm it's getting—and the color on his face is back to normal, narrowed eyes and a sigh replacing it. "You were messing with me."

Okay, so maybe some of that laughter I'd been holding back escapes. "It's so easy to mess with you."

"You and Jason are way too similar, sometimes," he mutters, shaking his head.

I lean my head back onto the cool metal of the lockers, shivering slightly. It's not even that cold outside but in the building? It's like Jack Frost has been sleeping in the air vents.