01

Before you begin reading I just want to let you know that I love you, a lot, and thanks for being interested in my story and I hope you like it.

Now can you please highlight this text and leave a comment saying the time, date, and state you are in. I'm a weirdo and would like to know.

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

NEW YORK CITY, the city so nice they named it twice

It's by far my favorite place in the world. I know that's a bit dramatic for someone who's only ever been here twice. The first time was with my mom when I was just five years old. We had taken a bus from Vermont to Massachusetts and then into New York. The bus ride was long and uncomfortable, but I was bouncy and ecstatic. When I stepped out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and onto 8th Avenue, there was only one word that could accurately describe the feeling; home. Even though I was only able to be in the city for a few hours, every minute felt like a lifetime.

That's why when I got an opportunity to attend St Mary's — one of the best-performing arts colleges in the world, I knew it was an offer I couldn't refuse. My mom however was a little hesitant about letting me.

I get her pessimistic attitude though because St Mary's is literally across the country from our little home back in Phoenix, Arizona. It's the farthest I've ever been from home and also the longest. Despite almost being a few months away from my twenty-first, I've never really been on my own. I've always had my mom beside me for everything even after I graduated high school. She even convinced me to attend a lesser-known community college for my first year of undergrad because it wasn't too far from home and she didn't like the idea of me going too far. Which in turn made me take up Biology in hopes of following her footsteps of being in the medical field since the school didn't have a ballet program I could join. I didn't enjoy it, I hated it to be honest. I remember being so stressed during my first semester to the point I wouldn't even sleep because I'd be so busy studying for exam after exam.

When I finally had enough I built up the courage to tell my mom that medicine is not something I wanted to do and I wanted to dance instead. I knew she wouldn't be onboard immediately but she knew how much dancing means to me. I mean the woman had me in classes at the ripe age of seven, she knew I was good at it — loved it, nearly breathed to dance. However, when I first got the email that I was eligible to attend St. Mary's and told her she immediately shot me down.