Chapter 10

Annika POV

"Have your upperclassmen told you anything?" Toako said. "During last year's championship league, all three of the kings totally decimated Serin by tripling their scores," Toako continued. All of the underclassmen, but I spoke up, "So what, that's what happened in the past. It doesn't matter now, they have come back ready to fight for the top spot. In my opinion, they have the strength to overtake all of the Kings and to win the Championship league." The two Shutoku players seemed shocked by my revelation, but Toako walked forward. He stepped toward me and put his arm around my shoulders, "Well, you speak very highly of this team Nishimura, you must be very loyal to them. But it's such a shame, Shin-chan has such an interest in you and your pal over there," Toako stated. I pulled his arm off of me and turned to him, "Firstly, You should really rethink your choice of actions, I'm taken. Second, touch me again and you'll see what happens," I warned him and he seemed a little scared. 

"Hey, you done talking? Start getting ready," one of the Shutoku guys on the bench said. "Yeah okay," Toako said and started to walk away, but Midorima stayed back a second more. "Annika, you don't have to defend these guys, and I don't understand why you didn't go to a stronger school that knows how to utilize your talents," he said to me. "Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, Kise told me the same thing, and I'll tell you the same thing I told him, I'm good. You don't know what this team has to offer and I plan on using my talent to bring out their full potential," I shot back at him and stormed off. 

Kuroko POV

Annika walked away from the group and Midorima walked toward his bench. The rest of the team and I want to the top deck to watch the Shutoku game. I looked down to the court and saw that Mirodima was talking to one of the upperclassmen from his team. 

The has started and Shutoku is doing very well, but I'm not surprised. "They're already up by 30 points with 4 minutes left in the second quarter, just as we expected," Coach said. "From what I can see they aren't doing anything too different from what we usually do, but they're making it look like a walk in the park. I wonder why," Kawahara said. "Cause they're not messing up," Hygha started. 

I zoned out for some of his speech, worrying about where Annika had gone. She has been gone for a while and has yet to show up again. "Naturally there is another reason," Captain started, snapping me out of my trance. "They possess a scorer that is incapable of missing his shots," he finished as the captain of the Shutoku team made a very powerful dunk that left the opposing team's defenders on the ground. "Wow, that dunk was insane," Kawahara said shocked. "Is that guy really a high schooler?" Furihata said in disbelief. "He's grown a lot stronger since the last time we faced him," Riko said. "This is just reminding me of how we couldn't do anything about him last year," Hygha said sounding defeated.

Meanwhile with Annika-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annika POV

I was taking a walk to clear my head before I had to go back to the court. "Why can't the guys just accept that I can make my own decisions? None of them understand what I've been through, and they think they can just control my life," I said out loud. 

Just then my phone rang, it was Kise. I picked it up, "Hello," I said into the phone. "Hey, Anni-chi! what are you doing right now?" Kise asked enthusiastically. "Nothing, just taking a walk to clear my head," I told him. "You ok? Did something happen?" he asked. "I ran into Shintaro after the game today," I stated. "Oh, how did that go?" he asked. "Fine I guess, I don't really want to talk about it," I replied. "OK, you don't have to. Anyway, about why I called. Are you free tomorrow?" he asked. "I was hoping we could go out and do something," he added. "Uh, yeah, I should be free around 5," I answered. "That works, I'll pick you up tomorrow and we can do something," he said sounding excited. "Okay, what are we doing?" I asked. "That's a surprise, you'll find out tomorrow but dress nice but casual tomorrow," he replied. "Okay, see you tomorrow, I can't wait to find out what it is we're doing," I said through a small smile. "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow, bye Annika," he said in a calm, happy tone. "Bye Ryota," I said back and hung up.

As I walked back, I had a few fans come up and ask for a picture. "Hey, Your Annika Nishimura, Oh my god! Can I get a picture?!" the teenage girl asked in excitement. "Yeah, sure," I replied with a smile. She took a selfie of us together, said thank you, and walked away. "I love my fans they always seem to lighten up my day," I told myself. Then my phone rang again, it was my stepdad. "Hey, dad," I said to him. "Hey sweetie, I was just calling to see how the tournament is going," he replied. "Oh, it's going good, we just won our 4th round game and are on the right track for the finals of the prelims," I explained. "That's good. Hey, uh Shogo is coming into town this weekend and staying with us for a little bit until his term resumes," he stated. "That's great, dad. Hey, do you mind if I spend the night at a friend's house tonight?" I asked. "I don't see why not," Dad replied. "Okay. thanks, Dad," I started, "I gotta go, I better get back to the court," I finished. "Okay, I'll see you when you get back," he said, happy. "Okay, Dad, bye," I said and hung up. "Great, now he's going to find out that I'm here to stay," I mumbled to myself, worried about what's to come next week with Shogo back in my life.