Finish Line

Your cars stopped in front of the middle school “ They keep the salt for the roads here.” you said getting out “ True, but how do you know that? Wait a second….WHERE YOU THE ONE THAT FILLED THE PRICIPAL’S OFFICE WITH SALT LAST YEAR?” asked Hopper and you shook your head “ I have no idea what you’re talking about.” you said heading to the gym while the man mumbled curses.

” I think you should rest. You’re heavily injured and it’s better not to strain yourself any further.” said Joyce as you handed her a diving mask and tape “ I’m ok, for now.” you said and the woman shook her head “ No, you go and rest.” she said sitting in science class with El, raising your hands up in surrender you decided to leave. Seeing Jonathan and Hopper emptying the salt in the kiddy pool you went to help, pulling out your knife you sliced open the bag Jonathan was holding “ I can’t believe this thing is still hanging around.” he huffed and smiled a bit “ I knew your dad, before he-“ “ Became a criminal?” you spat giving him a glare “ I would have said took a wrong turn.” he said and sighed motioning to Jonathan to go get some more bags of salt.

He grabbed another bag and motioned for you to open it “ What you’re going to tell me how good of a guy he was how he suddenly turned bad and to not fool-“ “ Nah, he’s still a good guy, just in a bad line of work….Don’t follow on his footsteps, he made some stupid choices around your age. I was the one that gave him that knife, well I found it, he took it and never gave it back but those are just details.” he said with a chuckled and you smiled “ Thanks, but I’m still not forgiving you for suspecting me and searching my car.” you said and the man nodded in understanding.

The tub was ready and El got in, the lights began flickering as the static was the only sound echoing in the school gym, the girl began breathing heavily and the lights went off “ What’s going on?” asked Nancy on edge turning to her brother “ I don’t know.” answered the younger boy “ Is Barb ok? “ she pressed on and you grabbed her arm “ Give her some space, I doubt this is an easy task.” you said trying to not charge more the atmosphere “ Gone! Gone! Gone!” sobbed El and tears glazed Nancy’s eyes as Joyce tried to calm down El’s anguished cries.

She finally calmed down and softly mumbled “ Castle Byers.” your eyes widen “ He must have been hiding there since we got separated.” you said “ Will?” questioned the girl and Joyce gasped “ Tell him I’m coming.” she breathed out trying to keep herself from collapsing, all heads turned to the radio as the broken voice of Will croaked out “ Hurry.” you felt Jonathan’s hand on top of yours and you took hold of it, you knew how it was to be trapped in there. El jumped out of the water gasping for air and Joyce pulled her in a hug calming her down.

As the kids were gathered together you got ready to follow Hoper out “ Where do you think you’re going?” he asked “ With you.” you said and the man shook his head “ No way, absolutely not. You can hardly stand up.” he said raising his voice a bit “ I took out one of those things, there might be more in there!” you protested “ I said no! You stay here, lay down and rest until we get you to a hospital!” he said opening the door and shoving you in. 

Jonathan’s reflexes were quick enough to catch you before both of you fell back “ You ok?” he asked and you nodded “ Yea but mister Bad Cop out there wants to make this a solo mission apparently.” you huffed “ Hell no!” said Joyce going after Hopper, Jonathan still held you and you watched the two adults argue “ If I didn’t know ‘em I would think they were married.” you chuckled. Jonathan tried to argue with his mom to go with them but the woman quickly shut it down and went in the car.

Once the lights were almost out of sight you felt your knees grow week “ ( Y/n)!” called the boy holding you up “ Sorry I..” you huffed holding onto him “ I’m suddenly not feeling the best.” you breathed out “ You’re burning up!” he said feeling your forehead against his cheek. He pulled you back, you had began to look out of it ‘Come to think of it…has she eaten anything all this time? Has she drunk any water?’ he thought taking you inside “ We need to lay you down!” he said.