2☾︎⋆˙

The voices started only six months ago. He was sitting at the dining-room table enjoying dinner with his family when a deep and unfamiliar voice intruded on his thoughts. He couldn't hide the sudden shock which poked his family's attention. Of course, the voice didn't stop. it was not making sense and because he was so confused and scared, it only grew louder.

With Vincent being a psychologist, he knew there was something immediately wrong with his son, even when Liam tried to cover it up. He has always been a shy and quiet character and he has always struggled with expressing himself.

Vincent knew his children like the back of his own hand and he knew Liam was struggling.

Vincent was able to take his son to work with him and have a work colleague treat him as one of his patients for a while. He would never call him that which is why he passed him onto a trustworthy friend. It was best if he did not work directly with his son. Liam needed his parents more than ever. His dad needed to be a father, not his psychologist.

Eventually, Liam told his family about the voice and they have been very supportive, but it was hard for Elara. She felt that maybe she had been too harsh with her timid child.

Liam's symptoms were unusual because he didn't have any. He was completely normal. He felt unusually himself and nothing for him had changed other than hearing a voice. Elara even wondered if he was doing it for attention, but he was not the kind of teenager to crave attention and he seemed truthfully scared of what was happening to him.

Elara wanted him tested on a number of medications but not a single thing worked. Liam saw several specialists and still, nothing could help him.

Now, half a year later, the voice was still in their son's head and Elara hadn't found anything that could help. Liam hurried towards the car, not wanting to be late. Harry had taken the front seat, only so his dad could talk to him privately. He had told him to look out for his brother today. When everything happened with Liam, Harry felt like it was his job as being his older brother to look after him. The most important part was that he should never treat Liam any different.

"Have you got everything?" Vincent asked when his son shut the door.

"Yeah."

"Alright, let's go," he beamed and allowed Harry to choose some music.

When they arrived outside the college, Harry saw his friends and jumped out of the car, but Vincent stopped Liam.

"Hold on a second." They both waited until Harry had gone before turning around. "I just wanted to ask. Did you have trouble sleeping last night?"

Hesitating, Liam nodded to say yes. He hated how his parents worried about him like this, but in reality, he was worried about himself too.

Vincent understood that his son has had trouble making friends since he has started college. He distanced himself from everyone and stayed private and reserved.

"I've been thinking about prescribing you with some sleeping tablets. Now that would mean talking to Flynn, the psychiatrist, but I want to discuss it with you later about your own thoughts on it."

Liam sighed and looked down at his hands. "I don't want them," he whispered.

"I know, but it's not fair that you're struggling to-"

"I'm fine." He climbed out of the car, silencing their conversation.

Vincent watched his son pull up his hood and walk away.

He was definitely going to call him later. The last thing he wanted was to get a call from college, telling him that his son has had a breakdown, again.