A Small Travel

"So.. You guys are actually twins?"

Akaza breaks the silence as they walk throughout the night. Yoriichi had Michikatsu on his back once more, letting his brother sleep.

"Yes, although he is older than me." Yoriichi confirms. He looks back at his sleeping brother's figure, watching his eyes twitch and his mouth hang slightly open.

It wasn't long before Akaza finally stopped. "Here should be fine. It's nothing much for protection, but I'd rather you sleep here than spend the rest of the night looking for a house that would let us in." Akaza says, dropping wood he gathered on his way as he takes off his haori.

"I'll stay awake and keep on watch. This part of the forest isn't very demon populated, in fact we actually use this place for a rest spot a lot, us hashira."

Yoriichi nods before setting the blanket from before onto the ground, letting Michikatsu rest on it. Akaza raises an eyebrow.

"Y'know you can use that for yourself, right?" He asks, pointing at the blanket that the sleeping demon was peacefully lying on.

"I'm aware, but Anuie is sleeping."

"Yeah, but demons are typically nocturnal. Not that they need sleep in the first place.." Akaza mumbles the last part.

Yoriichi hums. "Then he will wake up as comfortable as possible." He says, a soft smile on his face.

Akaza felt a wave of nostalgia hit him, crashing into his brain and washing away his current thoughts.

Rubbing dry sticks and rocks together, flames begin to ignite. Yoriichi watches intently. Flames emerge through friction. You just have to do it hard enough, and the flames can eventually burst.

Throwing the small fire some small leaves, it begins to expand, until large sticks are getting thrown as well. Akaza rubs his cold hands together, watching the fire embers fly away from the fire.

"You remind me of someone." He says, staring at the fire. Yoriichi looks down at the snow, sitting on a log.

"Someone I knew very, very long ago. Before I even became a Hashira. A friend of mine they... They also had a demon they cared about." He says. Yoriichi becomes hyper focused on his story.

"They uh, they had the demon locked up. They believed if they let the demon go, she wouldn't come back. She would lose her sanity but.. secretly, they were losing their own." Akaza huffs, a small smile on his face. "I lost them. They let the demon go and had to kill her, and it broke them far upon repair. And they lost themselves, I lost them."

Akaza's voice was low. "I miss them sometimes." He admits. "But they were fucking stupid. So I swore to myself. I'd kill those demons. I'd kill any demon who came in my way. I can't.. I can't lose either of them again.." he bites his inner lip before sighing.

"Then I climbed the ranks, killed more than 100 demons, and became a hashira." He says, but he couldn't ignore the look Yoriichi gave him.