17 || the storm

It was a normal school day - the sun hung lazily in the sky, casting long shadows across the campus grounds as you went about your routine. Students buzzed with chatter and scattered laughter, enjoying that glimpse of winter sun that somehow managed to break through the heavy clouds.

Since your relationship with Fukunaga was still too strained from all of the drama, you sat alone on your usual bench, no dreamy presence around you to fill the mortifying silence of betrayal. You tried to not care too much - or better, tried to forget about him altogether by focusing on your surroundings and trying to analyze your peers.
It was kind of like birdwatching, if the birds were horny and smelly mutated mammals. Your eyes glimmered with jealousy as a couple kissed in a corner, reminding you once again of your loneliness on that beautiful day.

Unbeknownst to you, Kuroo had been watching you from afar, his excitement when he caught your sad expression tinged with a growing sense of unease. He had taken tranquilizers earlier in the day, trying to calm the whirlwind of thoughts that had been plaguing him for weeks. But now, as he observed you, it was as if the tranquilizers had been dulled by his own emotions, and so he got back to feeling everything all at once, once again.

In the cafeteria, he played with his food absentmindedly, barely aware of Kenma's attempts to engage him in conversation. Kenma had even brought Kuroo's favorite snack, a small gesture to lighten the atmosphere, and as a reminder of his affection. But the raven-haired boy's mind was elsewhere, the anxiety gnawing at him like a relentless beast.

Their friendship had once been something beautiful, but Kuroo's feelings had taken a different turn, one he couldn't quite decipher himself. But it translated perfectly into his manners: choking the little blonde was enough proof of a broken friendship; however, Kenma refused to truly take that inhumane threat as a warning to end their relationship.

Kenma hoped that after the incident things might be different, that they could finally bridge the gap that had formed between them. He hoped that perhaps, just perhaps, that would be the end of it. And so he had reaccepted Kuroo's presence with open arms, even if no apology was uttered. There was no need, right? The little blonde sure happened to think so. 

And because of this emotional turmoil Kenma accepted it all: the violence, the unrequited love, the silence, the threat. All he needed, was his friend. The love of his life.

As they left school together, following the same routine they had for years, Kenma couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. He watched Kuroo with keen eyes, noticing the stray strands of pink wool stuck to his friend's unruly hair. The blonde caught himself right before reaching his hand out to shake the wool off, aware that invading Kuroo's personal space would result in an unexpected reaction. One that might have been of pure hatred. 

The evening sun cast long, eerie shadows, and Kuroo's unease grew. He couldn't escape the feeling that he was hurtling toward something irreversible. Kenma, always attuned to Kuroo's emotions, sensed the impending storm but couldn't quite frame the situation. Between his friend's restlessness and his own fear, Kenma decided to give up on trying to understand, however with that anxious thought still nagging at the back of his mind.

They parted ways, Kuroo's cheerful goodbyes echoeing in Kenma's mind like an ominous prelude to what laid ahead.

The night grew darker, and the anxiety that had plagued Kuroo all day reached a fever pitch. He had convinced himself that this was the only way, that executing the plan was the only way to put his heart at peace. The tranquilizers had left him in a state of anxious disarray, torn between his feelings for you and the reckless plan he had hatched.