16 || the quiet

Kuroo hummed to himself in thought, eyes skipping past the dimly lit line-up of shopping stores. 

The mall was particularly empty on that Sunday - a weird occurrence as the weekends were always the busiest days. The airy building was pervaded by an oppressive quiet, occasionally ruptured by the beeping of barcode scanners and the hurried steps of people rushing out of that sinister atmosphere.

Kuroo didn't really mind the silence, or the lack of human frenzy: he didn't really want to see, or have anyone see him that day. The peace was surreal, the atmosphere unearthly; the natural cold sunlight filtrated through the ceiling windows, flashing the marble pavements with an ethereal glisten - it must've been a dream. Kuroo's mind was foggy from his tranquilizers, so nothing really made sense. But he let himself float through the corridors, until he found the shop he'd come for.

"Good morning."

A young woman behind the register greeted Kuroo, glancing briefly at the sickly boy to take in his features better. She bit her lip before throwing her phone under the desk, quickly reaching his side to assist him - it'd been a while since a guy so handsome had stepped into the shop. And well, even though this one guy looked like he'd let himself go for a long time, his mysterious beauty overpowered the weariness on this face. 

"Can I help you with anything?" She asked leaning casually against a nearby wall, fingers playing with her perfectly silky black hair as she locked eyes with Kuroo's striking golden gaze. He showed absolutely no sign of interest, exchanging a cold and indifferent glare. He just wanted to get this over with, take what he needed and head back home to perfect his plans. But apparently people just couldn't mind their own business. 

"I'm fine," he replied in a dry voice, slowly dragging himself along the shelves of the sports store, his eyes just barely open.

"Are you sure?" she chirped, mellowing herself by adding an understanding soft chuckle, "Just tell me what you need, don't be stubborn!"

Kuroo couldn't bear her presence or her overly annoying cheerful demeanor any longer. Why was she acting like that? Did she really think he would pay her any attention? Did she not know that you were the only woman for him? His thoughts turned angry. Slut.

Sluts.

How could other women not realize their value? They would carry themselves like some sort of prize, a trophy that a man would be proud to display; they just didn't realize that they wobbled on the ground like cheap meat, fading into an abyss of futility when in your shadow. You were the only trophy. You were the only source of pride of this world.

"Show me your ski masks," he grumbled, looming over the petite employee when he turned around to her.

She nodded confidently, attempting to grab his elbow to guide him to the skiing section of the shop. Kuroo recoiled, shunning her touch, and merely nodded at her before heading off on his own.

Nylon, polyester; blue, black, dark and classic colors. None of the products matched what he had in mind. 

But then it caught his eye, buried under the other masks - a flash of pink, strong enough to stand out against the other dull colors. Kuroo swiftly buried his hand in search of what ultimately turned out to be the concretization of his thoughts, the manifestation of his dreams. His grip tightened around the fluorescent balaclava to drag it out of the black ocean of masks, and a wicked grin crept across his face as he held his find aloft; this seemingly insignificant piece of fabric was about to become the key to Kuroo's happiness.

He hurriedly brought it to the register, where the little woman had been anxiously waiting for him. She couldn't help but take a curious glance the strange item the man was purchasing.