Part 30 : The epiphany

Start from the beginning

"Tu theek hai, bachcha?" Arnav asked feebly as his eyes frantically traced Ayaansh for any injury.

Ayaansh's courage gave away and the tears spilled out. He had to force himself to not hug Arnav. He knew Arnav's body will not be able to handle both his and Aryan's weight. So he just nodded his head.

Arnav sighed and turned his attention back to Aryan who was crying bitterly.

"Bas kar, bachcha, kitna royega?" Arnav kissed him on head. "Mai bilkul thik hoon."

Aryan couldn't speak. His tears were just not stopping. Arnav was invincible in his thoughts. Seeing him in that condition scared Aryan beyond words. Arnav's warm embrace was only making him tear up more and more.

Arnav tensed up. "Bas kar, beta.."

Aniket gently pulled back Aryan. He was letting him take his time but he could also see the way Arnav was gulping down his pain. The bullett hit was very close to his chest. The stitches couldn't tolerate that much strain.

"Bhaiya bilkul thik hai, bachcha. Dekh tere saath hi hai." Aniket wiped away his tears. "Stitches hai na unke body pe. Thoda dhyaan se reh, hm?"

Aryan nodded his head but he looked so sad that Arnav pulled him back in his embrace. His pain didn't matter when his child wanted comfort.

"Thik hai, bachcha?"

Aryan's eyes filled up again. He shook his head. "Aapko pata hai mai kitna darr gya tha. Aap aankhein nhi khol rhe the... Agar aapko kuch ho.."

"Kuch nhi hua na, beta." Arnav cupped his face and wiped his tears. "Apne bachche se door reh sakta hoon mai kya? Mai bilkul thik hoon. I'm sorry I scared you. Please mat ro."

Aryan sniffed.

Arnav looked up at Aniket. He could see the exhaustion in his eyes. His tears agitated him. Aniket understood that and blinked away his tears.

Ashi entered the room and staggered in relief when she saw Arnav with kids. She had gone to the temple and rushed back when Aniket called her to inform Arnav had gained consciousness.

"Arnav.."

"Mai thik hoon, Ashi.." Arnav smiled wearily.

Ashi held his hands and broke down in tears. Only she knew what she had gone through in last twelve hours.

Arnav wiped away her tears gently. "Rona nhi, Ashi. I'm really sorry for scaring you all."

Ashi nodded her head with great difficulty. She looked at Aryan who was refusing to let go of Arnav. And then she looked at Ayaansh and Aniket who had gladly taken a step back for their little brother. All of them loved Aryan enough to let him take his time and assurances that only Arnav could give.

Whole day, the family fussed over Arnav. They were hovering around him like he was some sort of criminal who needed to be shadowed. Arnav would have been annoyed but Aryan kept him occupied throughout. Aniket and Ashi gave each other knowing smiles

"Discharge kab denge? I want to go home!" Arnav asked.

"You know you've gone through a surgery, Bhaiya?" Aniket asked, deadpanned.

"I know, Ani. But office ki important meetings hai.."

"Have you lost it, Arnav?" Ashi snapped at him.

"Kya hua, Ashi? Mai meetings..."

All of them gave Arnav an unbelievable look.

"What?"

"You're on bed rest, Bhaiya! Office ki meeting chhodo, shakal bhi nhi dekhni aapko. You need to rest."

"Mai konsa abhi ja rha hoon yaar! Abhi I just want to go home!"