Chapter 31 - On The Defensive

Start from the beginning

"You just don't give up, do you?"

My teeth ground together as Stoick spoke, and I shot him a withering scowl, flipping my knife around for a better grip. He walked forward until he was standing merely a few feet away, annoyingly nonchalant as his gaze flickered between me and Toothless. Even his own men looked at him like he was crazy for getting so close, and Gobber opened and closed his mouth, unsure whether to intervene this time.

"Come any closer, you'll be the first to die," I hissed, crouching lower. If I had a tail, it would be thrashing. Toothless' chest rumbled again as his body fought to wake up, and I could detect the slightest hint of caution in Stoick's body language. He shook it off, of course, not wanting to appear weak in front of the other humans. But I knew.

Stoick waved off his men. "Lower your weapons. I want them both alive. And take Ingvar below deck and stitch him up." A few of the men gulped, exchanging uncertain glances, but reluctantly tucked their swords back in their sheaths. Two of the larger men helped the wounded man to his feet and over to a hatch that led into the ship.

"You ever seen a dragon like that before, Chief?" A man with multiple scars and a wooden leg asked.

Stoick maintained eye contact with me, both of us unwilling to be the first to look away. I was starting to think I'd gotten my stubbornness from him after all. It was irritating.

"No. Only heard stories," he answered absentmindedly.

"Stoick, you really think...?" Gobber trailed off, frowning in disbelief.

"Aye. It's the beast of legend. A Night Fury. Isn't that right, boy?" He raised an expectant eyebrow at me, but I offered no response. It didn't matter whether I confirmed his theory or not. He was confident he was correct.

"Night Fury!"

"That's a myth!"

"Are you sure, Chief?"

The outburst from the crowd was silenced much like the first time, with Stoick shouting at everyone to quiet down. "One at a time, for Thor's sake," he muttered.

"Chief, if it really is a Night Fury, why not kill it now?" One man questioned, stepping forth. I growled at him in warning.

"Because—"

A distant roar sounded overhead—a Spike-tail—and my posture shifted from aggressive to carefully guarded as I glanced upward, squinting against the rain. It was only sprinkling now, but still difficult to see through. I couldn't make out any details of the dragon, but I had a feeling it was part of the group that had been after us earlier. It didn't descend, nor did it seem particularly threatening, but I felt the need to vacate the area as soon as possible.

Stoick noticed my change in demeanor. "Because," he continued. "It's more useful to me alive."

I slowly shifted my gaze back to him, less hostile than before, but not quite friendly, either. "You should leave now," I told him ominously. We all needed to go, before that monster sent another army.

He regarded me with a slightly manic twinkle in his eye. "What do you know?" He demanded.

"I know that we're all dead unless you get this ship as far away as possible," I snapped.

The vikings murmured with unease, and Stoick rubbed his beard thoughtfully. Gobber stepped up next to him. "You think he's telling the truth?" He asked.

Stoick shrugged. "Doesn't really matter. We need to head back, anyway. We only have enough supplies left to make it to Berk." I fought back a shudder. That place was hardly any safer than our current location, but it was dry land. It would have to do for now. "Men, back to your stations! We sail for home!" He ordered. The vikings dispersed with various groans and complaints, not wanting to miss any action but unwilling to disobey their Alpha.