Chapter 8 - Hard Questions

Start from the beginning

"Was that...?" I trailed off, going slack-jawed.

"Alpha? Yep!" Hiccup answered, a knowing smile on his face. He'd clearly been waiting for that little revelation.

The Alpha's voice seemed to leave an echo in my mind that I couldn't explain. He didn't just speak, he projected feelings. It was a powerful sensation, and I was just a human. It must be ten times stronger for the dragons. I can't believe I've been deaf to it all these years. He was so loud.

*Can we go now? I'm starving!* Toothless complained, shifting around impatiently. I broke out of my stupor and nodded, quickly climbing onto Cloudjumper's back. We took flight and fell in with the rest of the flock, exiting through the main tunnel to the nest. Toothless and Hiccup zipped through the crowd of dragons, performing their usual round of tricks.

I glanced down at Cloudjumper, a question coming to mind that I'd been wanting to ask him for the last five years. "Why did you take us, Cloud?" I asked gently, resting my hand on his neck. This might not be the best time for this conversation, but I needed to know.

He lowered his head, angling it slightly to the side to meet my gaze. *I'm sorry...* He apologized, whimpering quietly. *I just...saw something special in you. I didn't think you belonged there.* He admitted. I was silent, considering his response. Was it really that obvious how much I didn't fit in? *You had the sword, Valka. But you didn't swing it.* He continued carefully. *Why didn't you swing it?*

I frowned, looking away. "I...I don't know...It seemed wrong. You hadn't hurt Hiccup. I didn't want to kill you just because it was 'the viking way,'" I stated, bitterness seeping into my tone.

Cloudjumper purred soothingly. *You have a good heart. That's one of the reasons I love you.* He declared proudly.

I scratched his scales affectionately. "I love you, too, Cloud. You've given me a great life. And Hiccup," I added with a chuckle, looking over at my son and his dragon as they twirled around a grumpy Monstrous Nightmare.

*I only ever wanted you and Hiccup to be happy.* Cloudjumper murmured.

I leaned over and hugged him tightly. "We are." I promised genuinely.

Nothing else was said the rest of the way to the feeding grounds. Alpha was already there when we arrived, and there was only a short waiting period before he launched a mouthful of fish into the air. The flock dove in a coordinated manner, not a single dragon crashing into another. Cloudjumper and Toothless both ate their fill and then some, and the general attitude of the flock seemed to improve as all the dragons filled their bellies. Cloud offered me some, but I told him I was cooking dinner for me and Hiccup when we returned.

After everyone was full, we started the flight back home. I shielded my eyes from the glaring sun. The sunset was much more enjoyable when we weren't flying directly into it. I seriously need something for my face to block out this light, I thought briefly.

When we made it back to the nest, the dragons all flew to their respective resting places, and Cloudjumper landed in front of the cavern entrance with Toothless following close behind. I slid down his wing, then turned to caress his jaw. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Bright and early." He warbled in agreement, giving me a farewell nuzzle.

*Bye, Cloudjumper!* Hiccup called in thought-speak as the Stormcutter took off to his own sleeping spot. Then he looked at me. "So, what's for dinner, Mama?" He asked, licking his lips.

"Your favorite," I said innocently, walking past him. "Rat stew!" I finished, hiding my laughter.

"What?!" he screeched.