Chapter 2

Author's note: Once again, sorry for the long wait. Please be patient as I am in college and I work on the days I don't have school. I'm doing the best I can to update as much as I can.

Sandstorm saw a ripple of dark brown tabby fur and looked up to see Tigerclaw slip out of the nursery behind the dark ginger kit. A dark ginger tabby kit dangled from her jaws, and she placed it gently on the ground next to Squirrelkit. Sandstorm knew at once that Tigerclaw had seen his reaction, for the dark brown tabby queen wrapped her tail protectively around her kits and lifted her chin, as if she were challenging Sandstorm to say something.

Sandstorm felt a rush of guilt. What was he thinking of? He was the Clan deputy, for Starclan's sake! He knew he had to reassure Tigerclaw that these kits would be cared for and respected like any other member's of Thunderclan. "Your... your kits look healthy," he stammered, but his fur prickled as the dark ginger kit stared up at him with unblinking green eyes, the image of Goldenflower's menacing glare.

Sandstorm tried to push away the fear and anger that made him instinctively unsheathe his claws and press them against the hard ground. It was Goldenflower who betrayed Thunderclan, he told himself. Not this tiny kit.

"It's Rowankit's first time out of the nursery," Tigerclaw told him. She glanced anxiously down at the little kit.

"They've grown quickly," Sandstorm murmured.

Tigerclaw leaned down and licked each kit on the head, then padded toward Sandstorm. "I understand how you feel," she mewed quietly. "Your eyes have always betrayed your heart. But these are my kits and I will die to protect them if I have to." She looked up into Sandstorm's eyes and he saw the intensity of her feeling in their amber depths.

"I'm afraid for them, Sandstorm," she went on. "The Clan will never forgive Goldenflower—nor should they. But Squirrelkit and Rowankit have done nothing wrong, and I will not let them be punished because of Goldenflower. I'm not even going to tell them who their father was, just that he was a brave and powerful warrior."

Sandstorm felt a pang of sympathy for the troubled queen. "They will be safe here," he promised, but the green eyes of Squirrelkit still made his paws prickle with unease as Tigerclaw turned away.

Behind them Brindleface squeezed out of the nursery. "Whitestorm thinks her two remaining kits are ready to begin their training," he told Sandstorm.

"Does Oakstar know?" Sandstorm asked.

Brindleface shook his head. "Whitestorm wanted to share the news with Oakstar herself, but she hasn't visited the nursery in days."

Sandstorm frowned. The Clan leader usually took an interest in every aspect of Clan life, especially the nursery. Every cat knew how important it was for Thunderclan to have fine, healthy kits.

"I suppose it's not surprising," Brindleface continued. "She's still recovering from her wounds after the battle with the rogue cats."

"Shall I go and tell her now?" Sandstorm offered.

"Yes. Some good news might cheer her up," Brindleface remarked.

With a jolt, Sandstorm realized that Brindleface was as worried as he was about their leader. "I'm sure it will," he agreed. "Thunderclan hasn't had this many apprentices in moons."

"That reminds me," meowed Brindleface, his eyes suddenly brightening. "Where's Brightpaw? I thought he was fetching prey for the elders."

Sandstorm glanced away awkwardly. "Er, yes, he is. I don't know what's taking him so long."

Brindleface lifted a massive paw and gave it a lick. "The woods are not as safe as they once were," he murmured, as if he could read Sandstorm's uneasy thoughts. "Don't forget Windclan and Shadowclan are still angry with us for sheltering Brokentail. They don't know yet that Brokentail is dead, and they might attack us again."