Chap 7: Club fair

After class, Hirata stood up and looked at everyone.

"Everyone, could you please listen to me for a moment? We still have some time before the club fair. I think it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves and get acquainted with each other. What do you say?"

The majority of students were lost in thought, unable to speak up.

I raised my hand and spoke up, "I think we should introduce ourselves. We are going to be classmates for 3 years after all."

With that, the whole class agreed and we started introducing ourselves from the front

"My name's Hirata Yousuke. Back in junior high, lots of people called me Yousuke. Feel free to use my first name! I guess my hobby is sports in general, but I especially like soccer. I'm planning on playing soccer here, too. Nice to meet you!"

Hirata had effortlessly introduced himself to the class. He seemed exceptionally brave. And he'd talked about his love for soccer, too. His level of popularity must've increased two, no, maybe four times. Why, the girl seated next to Hirata had hearts in her eyes. If someone like Hirata became our class's linchpin, I wondered if he'd keep everyone honest and motivated until graduation.

Someone like him would probably end up dating the cutest girl in class. That was how these things typically went.

*Skipping to Ayanokouji's introduction (everybody introduced)*

After horikita's excellent introduction, it was my turn.

I stood up from my seat as all eyes turned to me expectantly.

I revised the speech I had prepared the moment Hirata announced the introduction would take place in my head for the umpteenth time.

Taking a deep breath, I started.

"As most of you know, I am Ayanoukoji Kiyotaka. I don't particularly have any hobbies, but I know how to play the piano and do calligraphy. As I was homeschooled before coming here, I might have problems socialising and expressing my emotions, so please be patient with me and try not to take all my words at heart. I hope to make friends here which would last me a lifetime. It's nice to meet you all."

I bowed and finished my introduction.

Everybody clapped and I felt relieved. Looks like my imtroduction was not as bad as I feared.

~~~

It was 4.30pm. The club fair would start soon. I planned to make my way there soon.

I glanced at the girl seated beside me.

"Hey, Horikita, do you want to come with me to the club fair?"

She looked up in shock but quickly changed back to her usually stern expression.

"Why me? Don't you have other people to hang out with?"

"Well, if I invite a girl, I'm sure a group of them would come to accompany their friend since I'm a pretty boring person to talk to. And I don't feel like being around so many people all the time. I could ask the boys, but most of them have been glaring at me since yesterday for some reason. So my only option is you," I told her what seemed like a reasonable reason.

She seemed to consider it.

"Sure. And this is not because I want to, ok? I just pity you," she said.

Um... Ok? What a nice person you are, Horikita.

"Let's go then, Horikita," I told her, standing up. I intended to leave before anybody invited me to go to the club fair with them.