Chap 6: Freedom

A/N

Sorry for not updating for so long. I have been busy with school recently, now that the exams are just around the corner.

Anyways, here's the chapter!

Around one pm, I made my way back to the dormitory, my home from that day onward. At the reception desk, I received a keycard for Room 401 and a handbook containing information about the dorm’s rules, then boarded the elevator. I quickly flipped through the handbook, which only detailed the most basic things that we needed for our daily routines. The dates and times for garbage disposal were listed, as well as a notice about avoiding excessive noise. I also saw notes about not wasting water or electricity, and so on.

“So, they don’t place restrictions on electricity or gas usage?” I’d assumed that the school would deduct the cost from our points.

I was a little surprised that they’d implemented co-ed dormitories. After all, this was a high school, so the rules stated that unsuitable romantic relationships were frowned upon. In short, sex was strictly forbidden…obviously. I mean, a member of the clergy wouldn’t say that engaging in illicit sexual activity was okay.

My room was about eight tatami mats wide. Also, though this was a dorm, it was the first time I’d lived alone. I refused to have any contact with the outside world until graduation. Considering my situation, I unintentionally cracked a smile.

This school boasted a high employment rate upon graduation, and its facilities and student services were unmatched throughout the country, making it the preeminent high school in Japan. I found such things trivial, however. I’d chosen this school for one fundamental reason.

At this high school, people were not allowed to contact students without permission, even if they were friends or immediate family. I greatly appreciated that. I was free. In English, they would call it, “freedom.” In French, they would call it, “liberté.”

Isn’t freedom simply the best? When I wanted to eat something, I could eat it. I almost didn’t want to graduate. Before being accepted, I’d honestly thought I would be been fine either way, that the difference between passing and failing would have been trivial. But my true feelings finally welled up. I was glad to have been admitted here.

No one else’s eyes or words would ever reach me. I could start ag—no. I could begin anew entirely. A new life. I resolved to enjoy my time here to the fullest, while helping the class move forward.

Yes, I was going to move class D up to class A. I planned to test myself and see how far I could go using those things I had learnt from 'that man' in this school.

Still in my uniform, I dived into my already-made bed. I felt far from tired, however. I was so incredibly excited about my new life that I was unable to calm down. My eyes remained wide open.

~~~

On our second day of school—well, I suppose technically it was the first day of class—we spent most of our time running over the course objectives.

I was pleased to see that the majority, if not all, of my classmates were attentive during class. I noticed a few of them nodding off occasionally, but I could relate. I learnt all these when I was 8, so I was pretty bored. I did manage to act attentive though.

Soon, it was lunchtime. I had cooked my lunch this morning - a bento consisting of japaense rice, steamed chicken and some pickled cucumbers. I had picked the recipe off the internet and followed the instructions closely.