Chap 2: Bus ride

April. The school entrance ceremony. I rode the bus to school, bobbing and shaking in my seat. While I looked idly out my window, watching the city’s scenery change, the bus picked up more and more passengers.

Most of them were young people wearing high school uniforms.

There was also a frustrated salary worker, who looked like the type to have once mistakenly groped someone aboard a crowded bus. An unsteady elderly lady stood in front of me, wobbling so badly I thought she was in danger of falling. Considering I’d known how packed this bus would likely be, I supposed I was simply reaping what I’d sown by getting on.

I was fortunate to have found a seat, but it was still crowded. I forgot about the unfortunate elderly woman and patiently waited to arrive at my destination. The weather was especially fine today, not a single cloud in the sky. It was so refreshing that I nearly fell asleep then and there, while considering what type of student I should portray myself as when I start school. Should I try to be a clown, making everybody's face light up? But if I force it too much, it might look too unnatural. Or should I try being an exemplary student, the embodiment of hope?

Just then, my gentle respite was promptly obliterated.

“Excuse me, but shouldn’t you offer up your seat?”

My eyes, which were about to close, snapped back open. Huh? Could this person be angry with me? But I realized that it was someone else being scolded.

A young, well-built blond man of high school age had sat down in one of the priority seats. The elderly woman stood right next to him, and another woman stood beside her. This second, younger lady appeared to be an office worker.

“Hey, you there. Can’t you see that this elderly woman is having trouble?” the office lady said.

She seemed to want the young man to offer up his seat.

Her voice carried quite well throughout the quiet bus, attracting several people’s attention.

“That’s a really crazy question, lady,” the boy said.

I wondered whether the boy was angry, unobservant, or just painfully honest. In any case, he grinned broadly and crossed his legs. “Why should I offer up my seat? There’s no reason for me to do so.”

“You’re sitting in a priority seat. It’s natural to offer up those seats to the elderly.”

“I don’t understand. Priority seats are just that: priority seats. I have no legal obligation to move. Since I’m currently occupying this seat, I should be the one who determines whether or not I move. Am I supposed to give up my seat just because I’m young? Ha! That reasoning is nonsense.”

He didn’t speak like a normal high school student. His hair was dyed blond, which made him stand out.

“I’m a healthy young person who certainly wouldn’t find standing inconvenient. However, I’d obviously expend more energy by standing than I would by sitting. I have no intention of doing such a pointless thing. Or are you suggesting I should act a bit livelier, I wonder?”

“Wh-what kind of attitude is that to take with your superiors?” she demanded.

“Superiors? Well, it’s obvious that both you and the old woman there been alive longer than I have. There can be no doubt about that. However, the word ‘superior’ implies that you’re referring to someone of a higher position. In addition, we have another problem. Even though our ages are different, wouldn’t you agree that you have an impertinent attitude and are being extremely rude?”

“Wha— You’re a high schooler, aren’t you?! You should be quiet and listen to what adults tell you!”

"Um... Excuse me, you may have my seat," I raised my hand and stood up. Even though I partly agreed with the boy, I wanted my peace so this was the least I could do.

"Thank you very much!" The elderly woman said.

I nodded and moved away. I thought I had gotten my peace, but I was once again disturbed by a cute girl's voice

"That was really kind of you," a beige haired girl, coming close to me, smiled up and said.

She was wearing the same unifrlorm as me, so it was likely that she was attending the same school as me. Her eyes were filled with passion and love. She seemed like the kind of girl who boys flocked immediately everytime.

"Uh... It was the least I could do," I muttered, averting my eyes, hoping I had the aura of a boy who wanted to be alone.

However, she persisted in talking to me.

"I was going to lend her a helping hand if nobody was going to, you know. Thanks for helping the old lady!" She thanked me once again, her voice overflowing with compassion.

"I'm Kikyou Kushida, starting school at class 1-D, by the way. What about you?"

I seriously wanted her to stop talking to me.

"Kiyotaka Ayanokouji. I'm starting at the same class as you too." I said, hoping she would ignore me now.

"I see, we're in the same class! Looking forward to know you better!" She said.

"You too." I said. After that, she turned and started conversing with another fellow schoolmate.

How was it that to some people, starting a conversation was as easy as breathing, yet to some, it was as hard as beating 10 proffesionals at boxing in a boxing ring? Ah well, I suppose everybody has different talents. For example, some might be superb at studying, while others have a knack for running. I suppose my talent just does not lie in conversing with others.

Now, where was I before my peace was disrupted? Aha! I was thinking of what kind of student I should be. It was truly a hard choice. I did not want to be a dull person, yet not too lively as that was the complete opposite of me. Ah well, I supposed I was thinking too much of it.

'I'll cross the bridge when I come to it.' I decided.

With that, I closed my eyes and felt at peace.

A/N

Soooo how was this chap? I tried changing the storyflow a little, not sure if it's ok.

For the storyline, I might gain some inspiration from other cote stories, so don't be surprised if u see a familiar storyline.

My updates might be very irregular, from 2 chaps a day to once a month updates. But I will try to update at least every two months.

See ya!

No Hiding; No Holding Back [ON HIATUS]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें