Chapter 3

That ride had ended as quickly as it started and soon, I was dragging everyone along with me ride after ride. I was having a BLAST. It was honestly one of the most fun-filled days I've ever had. There were so many memories we made there and so many things to look back to. Like how Two-Bit rocked the ferris wheel pod everytime we were at the top or when everyone tried real hard to win a prize to give me as a birthday gift. The usual things that Greasers like us would clown off to is what made days like this so special. Seeing the looks on everyone's faces on a 'scary' ride was pure gold to me. The best part was, there were no Socs, no Socs who bothered us anyway. Maybe it was TIME that they had seen we are just people that wanna have fun. People with a purpose and people who love eachother for who they are.

Maybe it had finally been enough after Johnny hurled on a ride, so we all started heading out a little past 5. We all wanted to make sure he wasn't sick so we climbed back in Steve's truck and went home. The whole ride back, we were yapping non-stop, it didn't feel nearly as long as the time it took going there. Steve pulled into the Curtiss' driveway, sending us off while we exchanged goodbyes. Dallas wanted to stay the night to avoid the ruckus at Buck's tonight, and to spend the rest of the day with us. I didn't think nothing of it, though, I was happy to spend time with them all.

Later that night, though, Soda and Pony were in the kitchen fixing up dinner when I had spaced out for a while on the couch, thinking about how I should've went home to see my parents on my birthday. They were only 2 streets away, but I felt guilty. Dallas coming out of the shower spotted me there, and for a split second was about to go to the other room, but turned back and started walking towards me when he noticed my expression. I didn't even realize him standing in front of me until he began to speak.

"What's wrong, doll?" Dallas asked worriedly.

I snapped back, and gawked at him for a while. Then a puzzled look crossed my face.

"What did you call me?" I questioned.

Dallas shook his head and sat down next to me on the couch.

"You look out of it, what's up?" He declared.

I sighed. "I don't know dude, I didn't talk to my folks today."

"Don't worry about them," Dal proposed.

"Easy for you to say, I don't see your parents around," I stammered. "Sorry..."

"No, it's okay," he said. "Thought about calling?"

"For what?" I started. "It's not like I'm sending them a 'happy birthday.'"

Dallas looked a bit hopeless for a second until a smile appeared on his face.

"Cheer up, you're 18 now," Dal consoled, bumping my shoulder. "Answer me this."

I looked at him, almost compelled.

"Did you have fun today?" He went on.

"Well, yea but-"

"That's all that matters, it's your day, not theirs." Dallas comforted.

I rested my head against my hand, my knee bouncing up and down while I looked around. I let out an audible sigh and looked back at Dal with a grin.

"I guess you're right," I affirmed. "Hey, thanks man."

I lean in to give Dallas a deep embrace when Ponyboy walks in, standing in the door frame when Dal notices.

"Food's done," he hesitated. "Am I interrupting something?"

"Oh, no!" I responded, putting my hands on my thighs and then standing up. "You hungry?" I say, turning to Dally.

He almost looked upset when I asked him, but smiled. "Yeah, I'm pretty hungry."