"And what do you think, they'll do? make me marry you?" He said rhetorically, grating her further.

"Pray tell, what have you come for? other than to vex me, that is." She demanded.

"Ah! yes. I just had breakfast with my mother. Who, by the way, is intent on announcing our engagement publicly at Lady Bothwell's upcoming ball. She is going to try and convince you to agree with her idea and you must dissuade her of the notion." he said.

"Why do I need to dissuade her? I am sure you are more than capable of the task yourself." she said folding her arms.

"If you haven't already noticed, let me clarify for you, all the women in my life are quite stubborn. With your addition, it makes the set quite complete" he laughed.

"You do not have to dissuade her if you do not wish to. But you see, I already told her that I will happily announce our engagement to the ton if she has your approval" He said "Now, if you are fine with attending another ball, it is quite alright by me." He said knowing full well she disliked such affairs.

"I see, so you wish to manipulate me to do your dirty work" She was dismayed "And I considered us friends"

"We are, trust me on that" He said putting his hand on her elbow reassuringly "That is why I think she will listen to you. Please Katherine, do this for us." His plea was genuine, he didn't seemed to be the kind to request anything, he was the sort to order everyone into submission. If he was willing to plead with her, there must be some truth to it.

"Alright, I will see what I can do" She said.
"Hopefully, you won't have to do much. Just act timid and pretend you are terrified of public gatherings, that should do the trick. And I am sure my mother will summon you sometime today." He was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Dear cousin, are you awake?" Came Eleanor's siren like voice from the other side of the door.

"Quick! hide in the closet" Said Katherine in panic "The shelves have been taken out for some reason, I think it can accommodate your gigantic stature." she stashed him in the closet before opening the door for Eleanor. Arthur found himself in quite an uncomfortable position, but he had no other choice.

"Morning Eleanor, what can I do for you?" offered Katherine flatly.

"Morning, I have just come to ask you, if it will be alright for me to borrow one of your new dresses. The dressmaker has sent all our dresses from last week and all the girls are trying theirs on downstairs." She said.

"I was hoping to borrow the ivory one that Marchioness had ordered for you. I quite like the ruffles on that one." She inserted herself further into the room without much invitation and went on talking.

"I suppose I should congratulate you on your engagement, although I cannot fathom why Lord Bradford would chose a country bumpkin like yourself, out of all the ladies. But I have heard a rumor or two about how you truly came to be engaged" Katherine understood what she meant to imply with her snide remarks "it is a good thing that lord Bradford is a man of honor or else you would have never caught him." She said acerbically.

"That is quite enough Eleanor. If you wish to borrow my dress, you may do so. Now if you'll leave me be, I have chores to do." Katherine said.

"oh! but do not be offended, dear cousin. I say this out of concern" she said in a sing-a-song voice "If I won't tell you the truth, who else will? that is what family are for. And thus, as a more experienced lady, I feel that it is my duty to warn you against nature of men. He may be a man of honor, but he is a man after-all. It will be very hard for you to keep his attentions occupied, what with your country ways and all. He might soon be back into his mistress's arm. I am sure he has one or two in London. And that is, if he doesn't break off the engagement first, in favour of a more suitable lady. Thus, I advise you to mind your step, you wouldn't want to gloat with victory of your engagement just yet." she said.