(7) The Investigation

Y/n's POV:

After a tiring few days of hard work and then having nothing to do once it ends, the weekend finally arrives. The first thing I do upon waking up is brush my teeth, followed by getting dressed and leaving my room, only to walk about a metre and a half before knocking on the door of the room next to mine.

A few seconds later, I hear a 'come in'. I do so, looking for the most appropriate place to stand/sit, before she tells me to just sit on the bed, next to her. I do so, a little nervous since I have a good idea of what this 'talk' could be about. Remember Y/n, whatever the outcome is, it's final, and you'll just have to live with it.

After a few minutes of silence, Chizuru clears her throat before starting:

Chizuru: "Right. Let's get this clear first, all the things I said when I was drunk should be disregarded, alright?" She says, to which I sadden a little, though not showing it.

I nod, agreeing with her, which prompts her to continue:

Chizuru: "The main thing I'd like to clear up is you stating your...'love' for me, as well as your last message, only further confirming it..." She says, getting a little red once she gets to the word 'love'.

Y/n: "I didn't lie once when I told you that, or when I sent you that message... I really do love you, Chizuru. You may not believe me, but I've been in love with you for quite a while, and it really upset me that I didn't get the chance to tell you before you had to leave 5 years ago." I admit with a straight face, not letting embarrassment get in my way of speaking to her.

She sits next to me, a small distance away with the blush on her face increasing in size. She quickly replies:

Chizuru: "Well, if you were to be with me, hypothetically, what's to stop that happening again?" She asks, to which I already have an answer prepared.

Y/n: "Because now, I've got enough money to travel with you, wherever you need to go. Honestly, if it were my choice, I wouldn't want to leave your side like that ever again, and it pretty much would be since I'm in a better position." I explain slowly, full of determination.

She looks away while processing this information, before turning back around, her blush gone.

Chizuru: "No, it would be selfish of me to get you to do such a thing-" She begins before I cut across her:

Y/n: "No, because it would be my choice." I interrupt, answering her other concern.

Chizuru: "...Anyway. About me now... like I said before, it wasn't as clear as the drunk me made it, but there's a little bit of truth. I do have some feelings towards you but with them come with... other things." She elaborates, trailing off towards the end.

Y/n: "Is this about it 'hurting you'?" I ask, a little carefully, getting softer when I get to the two last words.

She flinches, before continuing:

Chizuru: "...About that... I've got to apologize to you. That day, I was keeping myself quite distant from you emotionally. I wanted to just keep you as a friend but it gets harder the more I hang around you and the thought of just staying friends also hurts me, since I know that's not what I want..." She says, going on for at least 5 minutes, all of her worries and emotions finally overflowing, spilling out of her. 

"I-I'm sorry..." She sobs, now crying.

I so badly want to hold her, for as long as it'll take for her tears to disappear. However, since things aren't 'clear', I simply try my best to reassure her, debating on saying one last thing right after:

Y/n: "There's no need to apologize, Chizuru. It's human to be like this. Within even the nicest people, such as yourself, there are things that trouble them. I know enough of what you've gone through in becoming the person you are, and if I were in your shoes, I'd have probably thrown in the towel by now. You're the strongest person I've ever met, you know that?..." I say calmly, as something unexpected happens.

She hugs me, resting her head on my left shoulder

I kindly return her hug, holding her tight, though not as tightly as she's holding me. I guess she really needed this... I thought, smiling, almost moving to tears myself.

It seems the both of us have wanted to do this for ages. Ever since we had done so 5 years ago, I had longed to do it again, and it looks like she did too, even if the circumstances are different.

The hug lasts far longer than I had expected, so finally, I rest my head on top of hers, quietly saying my last piece:

Y/n: "...Chizuru Ichinose, I've said my piece before but I'll say it again: I love you. I want to be with you forever. What I'm feeling right now eclipses everything else I've ever experienced. I'm ready. I want to be your boyfriend. Even if you're not ready to give me an answer, I'll gladly wait."

She freezes for a couple of minutes as I now feel the wetness of my shirt; a little unpleasant but irrelevant to me at the moment. The then lifts her head up, facing me dead in the eyes, giving me a very vulnerable, smile. I can tell, she's fighting to do this, not because she doesn't want to, but because she does, despite all the reasons she just gave me.

Chizuru: "You know... even though I still have my worries...my answer is yes, 'because no matter what, only by doing what you love will you achieve true happiness'. And I would love to be your girlfriend." She says as I smile at her, chuckling when I realise whose words she just echoed.

Y/n: "Our first 'date'... you remember?" I ask in surprise.

Chizuru: "Of course." She simply responds, as we both hold each other tighter than ever.

Eventually, this embrace comes to an end as I go back to my room.

Once I get back, I get changed into my pyjamas, already prepared for sleep. Just before, I shut down my phone, I, or should I say we, shoot each other a text at the exact same time:

Chizuru / Y/n: [I love you, have a good night]