Chapter Fourteen: Land of The Smash Monkeys

(I apologize for the lack of updates. I accidentally deleted my notes for the story because of a glitch and now I have to rewrite everything 🙃)

(As an apology, I merged two chapters into one so yw)

At the same instant our two lovebirds were gazing at the beautiful star show, our other little heroic pals, Mario, Peach, and Toad were already out like a light back in the Fire Flower Patch.
Toad and Peach were sleeping at different angles of the tree nearby the fire pit with their heads against the bark neck of it, comforting themselves inside the sleeping bags Toad had managed to supply with them.

Mario had decided to watch over their fire until it burnt to ashes. By this point, the red capped plumber had already started snoozing in his sleeping bag right on the ground.

Though not as peacefully as his new friends were...

Mario periodically tossed and turned in his sleep, his heart rate accelerating as it seemed he was witnessing a bad dream.

A nightmare he could never seem to emotionally escape from...

Flashes of light passed through his dreams as vivid memories of that terrible day made Mario panic inside his own Dreamworld.

"ARE YOU DEAF OR JUST STUPID?!?! STOP GETTING IN MY WAY!!!"

A panicked Luigi could be seen falling to the muddy ground in the middle of a rainstorm and backing away in terror.

The thunder of that disaster is storm kept echoing through Mario's mind no matter how hard he tried putting the nightmare to rest. He tossed and turned in his sleeping bag, his breathing getting faster as he began quietly whimpering to himself, muttering words in his sleep nobody could understand.

He always tried to seem brave around everybody...but it didn't matter how many tries it took him to forget it...

This would always be the very thing he was scared of the most...

Accepting this truth...

"STOP TRYING TO HELP ME YOU WORTHLESS, WEAK, LITTLE, NOTHING!!!"

Flashes and sparks of light illuminated Mario's head as visions of the very thing that started it all looked over Luigi threateningly.

It had been the one time he could not protect his brother...

AND IT WAS ALL HIS FAULT--

Just before things could get too drastic in his nightmarish slumber, Mario suddenly jolted awake, sitting up and gasping in a cold sweat.
His head felt out of place. His heart felt like it was beating faster than he was actually able to handle. That nightmare really took a toll on him.
Mario grit his teeth in fear, clutching both his chest and his hat tightly as he leaned forward for a moment, trying to get that horrifying image out of his head.

However, it felt strange...

Mario hadn't had that nightmare in a long while...why did it feel different this time around?...

After a moment or so, however long it took Mario to calm himself down and keep from crying at that moment, Mario slumped his hat off his head and examined it, deeply in thought about recent events.

Was he about to face something worse than what had happened to his brother a few months ago?...

Angry knowing he was seeming weak noticably breaking down, Mario let out a quiet angry groan to himself and tossed his hat at the ground beside him. It was like his mind was playing tricks on him...trying to make him look like the fool everyone seemed to think he was.