92. Arnav-Khushi and Surrogacy! -2

Start from the beginning

"Arnavji!" Her voice raised as well and at that point Aakash entered there taking Arnav away.

.

.

"Bilkul thik kaha arnav bitua ne, ee koi social servicewa ka dukan hai ka (Arnav is right, is this some charity place)? First her operation, then her baby." Mamiji said.

Khushi's eyes filled with tears hearing that. After all, she too had heard such taunts about charity when as an orphan, she was on her amma-babuji's mercy. Besides, she connected with Neha's pain. Destiny had snatched the right from her to carry her own baby. Was she wrong wishing to fulfil that dream? Or was Khushi wrong in wishing to help another mother? She thought it was an honor for her that Neha looked at her with so much hope, trusted her with her biggest dream...

"Khushi, humein bhi lagta hai tu emotional ho rahi hai(I also think you are being emotional). Giving monetary help or emotional support is different. But giving 9 months of your life, raising a baby in your womb that is not even yours, and then giving it away, is too hard." Payal voiced out her thoughts.

Khushi understood payal's concerns, but why weren't any one of them understanding other side? Neha had not chosen this way; nature had rendered her helpless to carry her baby. And if science had found a way to help, where khushi can help, was she so wrong? She had to ask someone, someone who would give her more unbiased opinion...and that was only one person. Nani.

"Naniji, please, batayiye na(tell me), do you also think I am wrong?"

Nani took a deep sigh and answered her while caressing her head, "Naahi bitiya, aap puri tarah se galat naahi hai, par puri sahi bhi naahi (you are not entirely wrong, but neither are you entirely right)."

"Aur nahi to ka(what else)? How many times we keep helping them?" Mamiji commented again.

In reply, they heard Naniji say some lines of what sounded like an old bhajan(devotional song).

Vaishav jan toh tene kahiye je peer parayi jane re
Par dukhe upkaar kare toye man abhimaan na aane re
(The person is man of God who understands pain of others
One who helps others without pride entering his mind)

"Iska matlab jaanat ho, Manorama(do you know its meaning)? It means only those who have kindness in their hearts and help others without thinking high of it are ideal people. We should be proud of Khushi bitiya, not belittle her for this. When someone comes to you for help, it is not always because they are taking advantage but because they have hopes from you, they trust you. It's commendable to earn that kind of place in someone's life." Nani said.

And then, she addressed Khushi, "But Khushi bitiya, you are also taking a hasty, emotional decision, bitiya. This is not only about giving birth to a child, or about that child calling you chachi(aunt) instead of maa, it is about going through a lot of emotional and physical changes that will impact your family, your husband and your 3 little kids who are dependent on you. They are at that age where they need you right from the first ray of sun waking them up to the cool breeze of night lulling them to sleep. And sometimes even in their dreamland, when they stumble upon a nightmare, they need their amma. That is, you! We are here to help, but a mother is a mother, right?" Nani asked and Khushi nodded, "One last thing. I may not understand these modern things about you giving birth to a child that is not yours, but I can say from experience that you will form a deeper bond with it. Will you be able to break it?"

Khushi started thinking about and mulling over Nani's words, her Jiji's concerns and mamiji's words- even if they were bitter.