Chapter 22

"While I don't mind you requesting Taidra and Cetol'n as your substitute nest mates, I'd rather you not include Oira in that number. He is more than a little unsuitable to be the one supervising you," Yuin said, nudging the doors open and gesturing for them to enter. "So is Cetol'n, but he's k'nairi, so I will live with it."

"He's technically my son," Nel'os huffed, wings puffing out to look bigger. 

"There is no technically about it. He's not legally your son, nor do you have an emotional attachment to him. His brothers, however, are. Alongside Fetmar being mated to one of your top generals, you have the possibility to conflict those loyalties," Yuin argued. "I have no desire to kick Oira to the stockades over you, Royal Bonded."

"Fetmar is not mated to the General anymore. And I wouldn't ask Oira to break his loyalties."

"That does not change the situation," Yuin put an arm around Taidra's waist to help him down the step into the apartment. Taidra's apartment had a ramp. "Oira cannot be trusted to guard you."

"Is that a no to spending time with him?" Nel'os asked disappointment in his voice. He let go of Cetol to fall on the sofa in the living area and surveyed his new environment. The new work was evident, but everything was safe and neat. The room had less metal and more plasterboard than Taidra's room. "He wanted to learn about how Fetmar and Eyeri have been coping while living in Navat."

"It's a no to him supervising or guarding you. You can spend as much time with him as the two of you wish in a public setting," Yuin said with a softer tone, slipping back into his more natural, casual body language. Wanting to know the fates of family was not an uncommon sentiment. 

"Good. I hate to disappoint," Nel'os said, frowning at the sight of the makeshift nest. No one had attempted to set it up; instead, a pile of pillows and blankets waited for them. Some were Oira's and Taidra's; the base didn't have much to spare for a prisoner, royalty or not. It created a strange mix of colours, but Taidra had different worries. "This won't do. Taidra won't be able to act as substitute kin if this is the space you expect us to cohabitate in." Nel'os wings fluttered unhappily, and his hand waved unimpressed at the room. 

"It's either Taidra or a lottery from the men," Yuin said, an unsaid question in his voice. 

"Have I done something to offend?" Taidra asked, eyebrow raised. Nel'os demanded him quickly. It wasn't out of character for Nel'os to disregard him again so quickly, but they didn't have time or the resources to deal with him being contrary. 

"Nothing, but someone in your state should not be sleeping on the floor. That mattress is far too thin and low to be any good for your leg. You need a proper bed," Nel'os said firmly with clicks of annoyance behind them. "Your leg is healing, and your muscles won't be happy if you don't support it correctly"

"That's almost sweet coming for you," Taidra teased. "One night won't kill me. We'll sort the rest out tomorrow." Nel'os wasn't wrong. His leg would ache tomorrow, but he wasn't leaving Nel'os alone with Cetol and a random scientist.

"Would Wiljam not step up?" Nel'os growled, cheeks flushing red. 

"Wiljam is worse than Oira for being allowed to supervise you," Yuin said dryly, not bothering to state the obvious. Between Ryraso being Wiljam's ex and being the one to ground Nel'os, they weren't going to trust Nel'os alone with Wiljam.  

"Fine, but I will not be accused of hurting you."

"No one will make that accusation," Taidra said. Maybe Innofe, but Taidra wasn't sure how much he liked how Innofe reacted to Nel'os. Some of it was justified, others bits of it were not.