~2~

You really enjoyed yourself as you laugh and joke with Fred and George. Fred then pats your shoulder and tells you to look out the window. As you look out the window you see a giant castle in the distance and your jaw drops.

"Pretty ain't it" Fred chuckles as he looks at you admiring it. "That's gonna be home for the whole school year."

"Wow! It's incredible! I can't believe I'm finally going to Hogwarts!" You say excitedly.

As the train pulls up you start to get a little nervous. Fred looks over at you and notices. "Hey, there's nothing to be worried about!" He says reassuringly. "George and I will be inside waiting for you!" He says as he carefully grabs your hand. He was a complete stranger to you but his words somehow made you feel better and you smiled at you.

As everyone is getting off the trains, the students got separated by their year. As Fred walks away from you he turns back and winks at you and you feel a warmth in your cheeks.

You get a little nervous because you don't know any of the first years except for your brother who you were majorly trying to avoid. You see a girl standing over by herself so you decide to walk over to her.

"Hi, I'm y/n!" You said to her as you smiled nicely.

She looks at you. "I'm Luna Lovegood. It's very nice to meet you." She says with a very comforting smile. You guys decided to take the carriage up to the castle together. You guys talk on the way there.

"You're a really lovely person to talk Luna. I'm surprised you were all by yourself."

"I think they think I'm a bit odd, you know." She says in response as you guys were the last ones to pull up to the castle. You both join the group of first years. You see your brother in the group and he completely ignores you.

Professor McGonagall greets you all "Welcome to Hogwarts First Years!" She starts walking while leading the group.

"The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

You all stop right before the Great Hall.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return for you when we are ready." She walks into the Great Hall.

You all stood there rather quietly until Luna asked about your necklace. "It's really rather beautiful. Does it have any sort of meaning?"

"Oh!" You say as you look down at your necklace. "It was my mothers when she was younger. It's the Golden Snitch from Quddich. My parents used to love to play Quddich while they were younger. I never take it off. I feel like it brings me luck!" I smile at her.

Professor McGonagall then comes back to the hallway. "Everyone please get into a single file line and then follow me!" You all do as she says and you and Luna stick the very back of the line.

Professor McGonagall leads everyone through two large doors which go to the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with thousands of students, as well as floating candles. The roof appears to be the sky.

You then hear another one of the first years say "that's not really the ceiling it's just bewitched to look like the night sky."

You roll your eyes and Luna giggles a little bit. As you were walking you were looking around for Fred hoping that he kept his promise to meet you inside. Your searching gets interrupted by Professor McGonagall.

"All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

Dumbledore rises from the main table.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. There is a curfew in place. If you are caught outside your dorms after curfew, you will be punished. Thank you" Dumbledore sits back down

"When I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." McGonagall continues. "Hermione Granger!"

A girl with frizzy brown hair then takes a deep breath and is very anxious. McGonagall then places the hat on her head. The hat contemplates for a second then finally shouts. "Gryffindor!" Hermione was ecstatic! She ran and sat with the other Gryffindors!

As the line moves up you have completely forgotten about your search for Fred until you feel someone playfully tug on your shirt. You look over and see Fred and George sitting at the table.

"Hey! I told ya I'd see you inside." He smiles and winks at you. You blush at him and mouth the words 'thank you!'

McGonagall gets through a bunch more first years but then you start listening because there is a big ruckus at the beginning of the line.

"Draco Malfoy!" McGonagall continues.

"If I'm not a Slytherin my father will surely hear about this!" He said Angrily. He goes up and before the hat is completely on his head it shouts "Slytherin!" The whole Slytherin house goes crazy.

After a couple more people McGonagall finally gets to the last two people. You and Luna. You stand there nervously holding each others hand as McGonagall calls "Luna Lovegood"

"Good luck!" You whisper to her as she goes up there.

Luna gets really anxious as McGonagall puts the hat onto her head. "Ravenclaw!" It shouts!

Luna take a sigh of relief as the hat is being taken off of her. You could tell she didn't like to be in the spot light. She walks over and sits with the other Ravenclaws.

Now it is just you the last one to be sorted. You really hope you are in Gryffindor so you could be closer to Fred. All the people you knew here were Fred, George, Ron, Luna and your brother and most of them were in Gryffindor. You were very nervous when McGonagall said your name next.

You walk up and you feel yourself shaking as you get up there you make eye contact with Fred and he gives you a big thumbs up. You don't know what it is but something about him just makes you feel so much better. McGonagall places the hat on your head. It takes a while to think and that worries you even more. What if you don't get sorted? What if you get the wrong house? Your whole livelihood depends on what this hat says next!

There is complete silence as the Sorting Hat makes it decision. "RAVENCLAW!" It shouts! You sigh relieved as you walked over and sat next to Luna. You were a bit upset when you weren't in the same house as Fred but at least you were in the same house as your new best friend!