Chapter 48: Cornflower's Lament

Start from the beginning

There was a tap on Patrick's shoulder. He turned to the man sitting next to him.

"Clark," he greeted, voice hoarse.

The man smiled sadly and handed him a tissue. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Overland."

Patrick took the tissue gratefully and wiped his tears. "He died doing what he loved," he whispered.

"Yeah..." Clark responded, voice strained. "He did."

Margot was quiet, but she leaned against Patrick. His rock. They were wrinkled old things now, but she was as lovely as the day he met her.

Patrick turned back to the stage. He watched as Nathaniel's name was written into history.

Their son... wherever he was now, they could only hope he was happy.

---

"How is he?"

Vespera entered the room with warm towels.

Her husband looked exhausted as he remained beside their son. The bloody rune carvings on his back were healing well after a few days. There was still dry blood and scabbing, but Vespera was diligent in cleaning the area as they waited for Nazareth to wake up.

The glow of the lifeline connecting her husband and son pulsed steadily.

Laurel was speaking to one of the healers, indicating to something on a piece of parchment.

"—if we pump him with more antibiotics and shift the location to the spleen—"

"Absolutely not. His immune system is important. We don't need to remove anything as long as the necessary procedures are done to keep the poison solid here and here."

"But the operation is too invasive, Your Grace. We can't risk the infection—"

"Which is why it's even more important that he keeps his spleen. We're sending for a specialist who can operate with a ninety-one percent success rate but for now, I recommend a breathing tube for continuous stabilization and shift focus to his esophageal burns—"

The medical jargon started to overtake the conversation and Vespera was at a loss.

She met her husband's gaze. His eyes were glassy and out of focus, but he remained fully aware of his surroundings.

"His vitals are stable," he said hoarsely.

His lips were dry, and it was clear he hadn't been drinking water.

Vespera brought the towels over and used one to wipe his face and upper body.

Her husband leaned his head against her shoulder.

"He will wake," Vespera assured him.

Dying of poison was a disgraceful way to go. She would not allow Nazareth this indignity.

"Aurelion and Guinivere, are they back yet?" her husband asked.

Vespera pursed her lips.

"They've only been gone for a few days, beloved."

"It feels longer."

"..."

She stroked his hair and glanced over at their sleeping son.

They weren't a loud family by any means, but the silence felt deafening without the sound of their children wandering the manor halls.

---

Rainier arrived at the flower shop to pick up the usual order.

"Hey," the store owner's son greeted him cheerfully, "how's it going? I haven't seen your... um, Neo in a while. How is he?"