Chapter Nine

The two of you stare at each other. You're still stuck in your fit of rage type daze and Joel is focusing intently on you, a hint of concern is clear in his expression. He begins to slowly tap his fingers on his glass one by one, patiently waiting for you to say something in response. You're thinking of what you should say, should you even tell him? Surely you couldn't tell him the truth. No, no. That's a crazy idea, you think.

"Yeah, you know," You try to say coolly, but end up not sounding very convincing when you finally speak up. The anger and annoyance slips its way out of your mouth, pushing its way through your teeth with each word. You force yourself to swallow against the lump that has formed in your throat, starting to pick at the grain of the wooden bar top again. Joel is still staring at you. You can tell he is unamused, seeing right through your poor attempt to cover up how you're really feeling.

You tuck your bottom lip between your teeth, watching Joel in the corner of your eye as he brings his glass up to his lips, slowly drawing in the liquid before setting it back down.

"I saw you over there with Nessa and her friends. Were they mean to you, or somethin'" His voice is smoother than usual. It takes you a moment to process what he said because you can barely hear him above all the talking and music.

"No, I-" You shake your head abruptly, looking away from him completely and shakily drawing in some air. What should I say? How do I even justify the emotions I felt when they started talking about him? Telling anyone, especially him, would be a window right into what you've started feeling, something you haven't even begun to come to terms with or understand yourself. "I- I don't know. It wasn't about me, but..."

You let your voice trail off, not knowing what else to say and bring your hand up to your forehead, cranking your neck toward Joel. His eyes dart off to the side before bringing them back to you, taking another slow and long sip of his drink.

"They say somethin' about me to you?" He says without any fluctuations in his tone, as if it was the most normal thing he has ever said. The way you look at him must have given away the answer because he slowly nods his head, looking past you and narrowing his eyes at them. You turn your head and see the crowd parted in such a way that Nessa and her friends have a clear line of sight of both you and Joel. You immediately notice the redness of both Heather and Aimee's faces who are whispering back and forth to each other, laughing and pointing in your direction. Nessa must have said something to them, perhaps scolding them, because they quickly drop their smiles and round their posture. You and Nessa make eye contact. She looks remorseful, her eyes hold a certain sadness in them.

"Is that really what's got you bothered?" The sound of his voice makes you turn back to him. He scoots his barstool closer to you, your arms brushing up against each other. Your heart begins to beat deeply as you feel his warmth radiate off of his skin onto yours. "Not the first time they've done it. I hear what they say when I walk past 'em."

You don't say anything, focusing on slowing the beat of your heart. You quickly flick your tongue over your lips.

Joel nudges your arm, leaning in closer to you so you can hear him over all the other noise. This isn't going to help, you think, your heart thumping again.

"Hey," He says softly in a genuine tone. "If it doesn't bother me... don't let it bother you, okay?"

You can feel a calmness come over yourself as he speaks, the tightness in your chest from early quickly dissipates. You give him a shy smile and a single nod. Joel retracts his body and adverts his gaze to his glass that is now cradled between both of his palms.

"They're just bored, nothin' else to their lives other than community duties, gossiping, and getting shit face drunk a few times a week. Especially that one with blonde hair." He gestures toward Heather by jutting out his chin and staring at her with dead eyes. "She is just about as desperate and petty as one can get."